Is anyone an actual pilot?

I am yes i started flying at 16 and love it could fly a plane solo before I could drive! If you are thinking of learning to fly do it!

1 Like

hi, Well, my dream is also to be a commercial pilot. Does anyone know what the rules are in Argentina? by the way, im 12 years old

2 Likes

I’m currently only 14 but hope to be an airline pilot. Good luck to you

2 Likes

same me! but in argentina for working i need 900 hours

1 Like

I started loving aviation when I was very young, and started flying last year on my 14th birthday. Here is a picture of me when I was 6, at EGKK London Gatwick, to flying along the South Coast from EGMD London Lydd/Ashford Airport in a PA28

20190718_152404 20190511_120810

5 Likes

@DeerCrusher is a real pilot. I have heard that he flys an F-22 with the callsign “HoneyBadger” around Southern California at more than twice the speed of sound. He also crashes on approach sometimes.

14 Likes

There’s many pilots here. Many will tell you the same thing. Start as early as you can! I started at 14! Save up! I was lucky enough that I had an inheritance that paid for it. But study and have the motivation to get it done. Be prepared for the flight lessons and listen to what your instructor has to say. Also fly often as you can

4 Likes

Since your 3rd question has already been answered, I’ll just give some advice from my experience:

To answer the first question, I’ve had a passion for aviation for as long as I can remember, but I started flying at 16 and got my PPL at 17 back in 2011

As for advice, I’d say one thing that really helped was passing the written before really diving into the flying. Not saying it’s bad to fly before you do that, but it can really help with the cost since it’s cheaper to learn what you need to know on the ground instead of wasting some time in the air going over stuff you could already know.

Another thing I’d say is to really stick with it as much as you can. The skills you’ll learn can degrade the longer you wait between flights. A lot of flight schools will recommend 1-2 flights per week (if not more for an accelerated program), but I know that’s not always a possibility. It’s a lot of work, but you’ll get there! The aviation community is quite possibly the best there is, and you’ll have a blast up there. Happy flying!

5 Likes

You guys started way earlier than me. I went into the Air Force at 18 and went to collage during that time. I took liberties flight school and the Air Force paid for it. Therefor I have my license and I fly jets in the Air Force now. Easiest way.

4 Likes

Looks like we may have to meet sometime. I’m also from Canada. Where abouts in canada?

2 Likes

Currently in Northern Ontario on a co-op, but moving back to Southern Ontario to finish school in a month!

There are at least several highly competent irl current and retired airline and mil pilots on this sim…some of which who are also IFATC as well…so you can be sure that there is no lack of skilled aviators to watch and learn from if you so choose to !

Start early, work , work , work ! Save your money I started at 15 about 30 years ago and was very determined especially growing up next to Ohare airport in Chicago watching those heavies come in and out like a clock fueled my dream . Good luck and best wishes .

2 Likes

Sorry, not a pilot but a student pilot, getting ready for my first PPL exam pretty much as we speak. I live in NZ, so I can’t see there being much of a difference to Aussie, but I’m 15 right now and started training at 10, so no problem for you there. There doesn’t seem to be an age restriction on flight training. Only thing is, it’s really frustrating having to wait so long to solo. Thankfully my FTO’s CFI has a good study plan for me to get all my exams done early so I have something to do until then.

My tips for a preteen (that’s such a derogatory word, why call yourself that?) I don’t really have any serious tips but what I basically did/do is literally just do anything I can to gain more knowledge about aviation. Get to the point where you can spot any plane and tell your friend what it is. They will get sick of you if you have friends like me though. My biggest tip is to let local pilots know, let your teachers know, cause if Aussie is anything like NZ they’ll support you all the way. Talk to nearby FTOs and aero clubs, and just start taking lessons and clocking hours.

Those are the best I can give you from personal experience. Like I said, I’m still in training but my instructor thinks I’m doing great and I’m sure yours will think the same of you. You have a spark, now give it fuel to grow into a fire. Good luck, my friend.

4 Likes

18-21 years of age I think if I still remember correctly. I finished ground School with a B+ only 34hrs of flight in my former classmates moony that has a Porsche engine. But I haven’t did my solo. Anyways I’m sticking to AMT field where we keep our feet on the ground and if you can fix it you certainly know how to pilot it

5 Likes

Hmm? I’m in Toronto and Calgary next month 😂… Just butting in here… I wouldn’t meet up anyway I’m too busy

1 Like

Meaning your up in north bay area right now???

1 Like

not exactly. you have to be 17 to get your pilots license

A follow up question here… is anyone an AIRLINE pilot?

There are tons of airline pilots on this forum!

@RAH
@Heavydriver
@IFATC_Andrew
@Yuan_Tugo

and many more

2 Likes