¿ Is a VOR really necessary? - ¿ El VOR es realmente necesario?

Translation to English
Hello everyone and greetings. The VOR tells the pilot and the plane where the airport is and currently all large and small planes have GPS and pilots can create a flight plan and the GPS and the flight plan will tell the pilot where the destination airport is and the flight plan and GPS will get the plane to the airport and to the runway. So I don’t understand what the VOR is used for. I have created flight plans and I have made flights of approximately 3,000 miles and I have been able to find the airport without using the VOR, so what is the VOR used for? Greetings and thank you.

Translation to Spanish
Hola a todos y un saludo. El VOR le indica al piloto y al aviòn dónde está el aeropuerto y actualmente todos los aviones grandes y pequeños tienen GPS y los pilotos pueden crear un plan de vuelo y el GPS y el plan de vuelo le dirá al piloto dónde está el aeropuerto de destino y el plan de vuelo y el GPS llevará al avión al aeropuerto y a la pista. Entonces yo no comprendo para qué se usa el VOR . Yo he creado planes de vuelo y he hecho vuelos de 3.000 millas aproximadamente y he sabido encontrar el aeropuerto sin usar el Vor, entonces ¿ Para qué se usa el VOR ? Un saludo y gracias.

1 Like

GPS service is not omnipotent. It relies on steady transmission of signals from satellite to aircraft, and if it’s interrupted or degraded in some way, suddenly you are no longer able to rely on it.

VORs don’t need satellites to work, just simple pulse and sweep radio signals emitted from a single transmitter. On the other hand, you need to be within range of 3 GPS satellites in order to trilaterate your position, and 4 if you want to know your altitude as well, assuming none of their signals are being interfered with in any way.

VORs are absolutely still a necessary primary/backup system for RNAV operations, and will continue to stick around, even in a diminished volume with the MON program (in the US, at least). GPS will remain merely an approved substitute for good old radio instrument navigation until technology advances further than it is today.

5 Likes

“Although this technology is aging and many VORs are being decommissioned, VORs still play an important role in aviation. The VOR infrastructure itself is currently being repurposed as a backup navigation service that can be used during GPS outages.”
from: What Is VOR? How a VOR Navigation System Works - FLYING Magazine

further: "This backup infrastructure is known as the VOR Minimum Operational Network (VOR MON). According to the FAA’s Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), “the key concept of the MON is to ensure that an aircraft will always be within 100 nm of an airport with an instrument approach that is not dependent on GPS.”

1 Like

Also, as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I used to peer down on gps satellite circuitry with a microscope before launching into space (as a communication systems hardware engineer). It is physical hardware and requires multiple modes of redundancy for the critical role provided, beyond just the reliability initiatives of the product itself.

1 Like

@adit Of course I also thank you and I really appreciate your interesting information, help that you have made me know. Very kind and thank you very much and enjoy your flights. 😉👍

1 Like

@aditOnce again, I thank you for the valuable information you have given me and I congratulate you on your very interesting profession as an engineer. 👍😉

1 Like

@Yacht Fantastic and very interesting answer that I did not know, I did not know. Thank you very much for your very interesting comment. Greetings and enjoy your flights.😉👍

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.