Iran Crisis Affects Aviation

They can fly via Israel or Turkey’s airspace though

1 Like

Uh not really. I don’t know many airlines that actually fly straight across Israel, right over the West Bank and heading west towards Africa or South America, except for Jordanian, which I know, flies right over the West Bank which otherwise a closed off for traffic.

Also flying to Africa or South America or Southern part of Europe, then for Qatar who is blocked by a number of its neighboring countries, do find it easier to just fly over Syrian airspace which technically has no restrictions, only warnings by FAA to be cautions when entering their airspace.

And they already do fly via Turkey, they even fly to and from Turkey. But if, and only IF, Iranian airspace were to be closed down, then Qatar Airways has this back door via Syria. Also when flying to i.e. Geneva then flying via Syria is also more economically viable. It is the shortest rout to fly over Syria on your way to Eastern, Southern or Southwest of Europe, and the one that saves the most ful money.

1 Like

Wow, those FPLs take way more time than usual. This is quite harsh for Qatar.

3 Likes

I think he meant that if airlines were not allowed, that in a scenario where they do have to close down their airspace, then what the airlines do then? Considering Iranian airspace stretches out over the Persian Gulf up to a certain extent. If Iranian airspace were to close then the last bit of Persian Gulf would be closed off for QR…

1 Like

Guys, this thread is becoming political. Let’s try to avoid talking about economics of airlines and the politics of blockades to certain aircraft and airlines :)

4 Likes

Well, then Qatar will hopefully find an alternative route…

1 Like

You must’ve flown to Oman a long time ago. Qatar Airways aircraft are strictly prohibited from flying over the United Arab Emirates due to blockades going on with the country.

Airlines were warned to stop flying over the Persian Gulf a while ago as the FAA had stated they could mistake commercial aircraft for military ones while tensions rise between the U.S. and Iran.

Now, airlines are simply avoiding the Persian Gulf because of the drone.

I suggest you read up a little bit more on this matter ;)

1 Like

I have flown to Oman about 6 months ago. What I meant was they go around UAE. I have read enough, to get myself familiarised with the situation… I still can’t believe that because of one drone so many airlines are cutting Persian gulf airspace…

2 Likes

Yes, that is correct. But, if the Persian Gulf is closed off, it’d effectively end all Qatar Airways operations

4 Likes

Ok, I see what you mean. I got quite confided at first😂

1 Like

Hopefully it doesn’t.
Qatar look like a solid airline I’d love to fly with.

4 Likes

BravoCharlie is right. Lets please not get too political.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. Now if you go back to my previous posts and read them, especially that ultra long one, you’ll see they still have ways out. Flying over Syria is one of them, which would lead them to their European, African, American and South American destinations with not too much added time.

Also another thing to note is, FAA never issued that the Persian Gulf is off limits. It is Iranian controlled airspace, whereas a large portion of the Persian Gulf falls under but all of it. Everything to the south of Iran, and the southwest is Iranian, while much of the Persian Gulf is still in UAE, Bahrain and Qatar territory.

Though closing off Iranian Airspace is a hard hit on Qatar Airways, it won’t cause them to seize operations in any way. It will though be economically a challenge to get flight to Asia and Australia. So it won’t be the end of QR, though a very very hard time for them…

2 Likes

Then why is Air India flying Newark to Mumbai still?

1 Like

Wait though, How do other airlines fly over Syria when this is in place? https://safeairspace.net/syria/

1 Like

How exactly would they be able to fly over Syria? It’s past Iraq and to get to Iraq, they’d either have to fly over the Persian Gulf or Iran.

The FAA has warned aircraft to not fly over this area, and if something were to happen in the end, it’d end Qatar Airways operations as stated. Qatar Airways most likely would not “end” their operations permanently, but they’d be forced to stop.

On a completely different note, @Vignesh_S Air India aircraft are not registered in the United States and are therefore exempt to this rule.

1 Like

Something that I would like would like to point out is that most of the Persian Gulf is INTERNATIONAL WATERS meaning the sky above is international airspace (which caused this mess in the first place). So just think about that for a minute.

It’s not closed, but the South Syrian airspace is getting more and more safe, so that might be the only option for Qatar…

2 Likes

Red won’t work… No aircraft flies over northern Syria… Black one is already used by many of their flights to South America, Africa and many destinations in Europe.

@GlobalFlyer1, Where is it stated that all of the Persian Gulf, that the whole Sea would be closed down? Didn’t the FAA only state that “Iranian Controlled Airspace should be avoided”, so Planes can still fly if they are flying north, just through Bahrain and Kuwaiti airspace. Qatar Airways already flies though Bahrain airspace when arriving from the north, the blockade from Bahrain, didn’t make Qatar stop flying their European or American routes, which still go through Bahrain airspace.

3 Likes

They just do. The airspace is not closed down or anything, just Airlines are warned for their own safety to not enter it. Qatar found this risky route to be the shortest and most economical for them to operate to South America and Africa.

Even MEA, flies past Damascus on some of their flights, such as to Riyadh, and anything east bound as well.

2 Likes