iPad 5th Gen 2018 Overheating

My iPad keeps on overheating, even when I fly 10 minute flights. I already have put it on the lowest graphics possible, but it still gets extremely hot. My storage is 1/4 full, so that shouldn’t be a problem. Weird.

What are your graphic settings?

1 Like

Just a random thought. How do you have your iPad when you fly? I keep mine propped up to allow it to better ventilate. Also, do you have a case on the iPad that may trap heat? This might not be beneficial but just a few quick thoughts that came to mind :)

No case, but I make it stand up by leaning on a Bluetooth speaker.

1 Like

I see you have Anti-Aliasing on, this can cause your device to overheat…

2 Likes

I think this may need to get moved to #support.

Moved it to #support sorry about that.

1 Like

I believe Anti-Aliasing makes some of the graphics smoother such as taxiway lines etc. When I turned it on awhile ago it warned me that it could cause my device to overheat/run slow. However I have not noticed my iPad to be unusually hot…

1 Like

Thanks, turned it off. Thanks for the solution 😉

2 Likes

No problem, glad I could help!

1 Like

I think it should be noted that just because it feels hot doesn’t mean it’s overheating. There’s a difference between hot, and too hot. The device will protect it’s self from becoming too hot, by throttling, or going into low power mode. The back of the device warming up is actually part of it’s cooling strategy to use the thermal conductivity of the mettle to disperse heat. If it’s uncomfortable by all means turn down settings, but I wouldn’t be concerned about the device damaging it’s self. But then again I’m not an electrical engineer… 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8365316

2 Likes

I know, but I even sometimes get a sort of warning notification telling me to shut the iPad down.

1 Like

I agree with @KPIT
In fact all tablets and modern devices have built in sensors to monitor the CPU’s temperature. So overheating is unlikely to happen. Your device will automatically dim the screen, lower the fame rate etc.

If I have to suggest some solutions to this, here are the following.

1. Try removing cases from your device if you are running long haul flights.
    Cases will most likely trap the heat that will make your device struggle to run.
  2. Stop charging your device when necessary.
    Charing is one of the major factors to devices’ heating up. If you find it too hot, consider stop charging for a while. It might help.
  3. Cancel devices’ background tasks.
    Devices with less ram will find it difficult to multitask, when running IF, try to close the apps that you are not using in the background.

Hope these suggestions helped!

3 Likes

Ok, then do that. That is telling you it has crossed the line from hot to too hot. Are you using it in direct light? Or a hot environment? Maby a case on? Becuais that really shouldn’t happen eaven if the graphics are set high.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.