Introduction of an educational system.

I would like to see some sort of educational system incorporated into Infinite Flight. This should include some in-app tutorials, training server atc commands to be revamped to encourage learning, etc. Check out this other thread in the #live:atc category for some specifics.

25 Likes

Mark makes many tutorials on flying on Infinite Flight. For forum guidelines, people can check here
https://community.infiniteflight.com/guidelines

5 Likes

There are already some.

2 Likes

@PlaneCrazy Not anything to standards…takeoff, landing and maybe one other. Well said, I’m with this…

1 Like

There are only 2 built into the app. One teaches you how to get off the ground. The other teaches you how to ascend, descend, turn left/right, and combine the 2. Nothing on landing or anything else for that matter. The app needs more built in tutorials

8 Likes

I don’t remember having those…

That’s because they aren’t required. When you first purchase and install infinite flight, you areally given the option of going through the 2 tutorials or skipping them; which I imagine most people skip them. To find them, you press the question mark located in the pause menu of solo mode.

2 Likes

The moderators already have many tutorials on YouTube and the forums here. New pilots are simply either to lazy to check these out or are unaware of the services. So what we should be focusing on instead of criticizing people for lack of a information packet for the new pilots, are the pilots themselves. We should be making sure that each new pilot wo joins the forums is made fully aware of the YouTube tutorials and the tutorials on the forum.

3 Likes

I would like to think that we already do a pretty good job of making sure new forum members are fully aware of the tutorials available; I could be wrong though. Apologies in advance for using your own point against your position…

This is one of the foundations of my discussion and subsequent request. We solve the laziness by introducing a couple things to Infinite Flight that motivates those pilots to learn and gives notification to the pilots that are unaware.

5 Likes

Totally with you @Nichalas_Petranek !

1 Like

Here you go, it’s pretty much already in place. All of the tutorials on the right hand side.

5 Likes

And yet only 2 of them are in-app tutorials the rest are forum tutorials. Some people are kinesthetic learners. We need more tutorials like the 2 on the left side there.

3 Likes

I think these tutorials should be required, at least before joining Expert.

I agree there, but in-app tutorials is probably a bit to complicated to implement. There are actually great tutorials on YouTube made by Mark & Tyler, they should be linked in somhow.

I disagree. I would like to leave how expert server gets accessed and operated unchanged. With ifatc being able to ghost incompetent pilots, the expert server pretty much forces people to learn. Ifatc already don’t like when they have to ghost people, if we turn our focus to training server being more about training and keeping away the trolls, then it will help significantly reduce the need to ghost users on expert.

7 Likes

I totally agree. There should be a system in place that is just a tad better than what is available now. Perhaps something like a required training program within the app that the user must successfully complete before being allowed to access to certain servers would be how I would envision it. There is no doubt in anyone’s mind that Mark, Tyler, and the gang have made some of the best tutorials out there. However, utilizing these tutorials for their intended purpose relies on the hope that the user will care enough to seek them out. Making it a requirement in the app is truly the only way to make an educational system like this work efficiently. But then again, we also have to consider the impact to the Devs if the requirements get so strict as to turn users away from the app. I think this is why I spend more of my time on the expert server. Sure you have less pilots to fly around with, but you also have better quality pilots too. Just my two pennies.

5 Likes

Now that the voting system is in place let’s see how this goes…

5 Likes

I agree, I’ve had enough of pilots messing up, annoying everyone and not following atc instructions, and the two tutorials there are aren’t that good, especially when your like me and can’t fly Cessna 172’s at all

1 Like

I totally agree. But like @Chris_Ridgell said, we might not want to make it TOO strict. If we atleast do the basic tutorials for ATC, people will somewhat know what they are doing. Of course, that won’t prevent the trolls. I also noticed…I don’t think there is a link to the youtube channel in-app. Maybe you have to go thrpigh one basic tutorial for flying with ATC, and one with working in ATC. Then you are encouraged to watch youtube tutorials via a link, or if possible implement it inot a app. Implementing it would be hard though. Scrap that idea.

1 Like

Do you mind me linking this? I don’t want to dwell another paragraph into why I also think it’s necessary.

2 Likes