Introducing NavEditor - UI for Airport Navigation Editing

Over the past month or so I’ve been working on a little project to make Navigation Editing a little easier and more accessible for more people to contribute - specifically those who don’t want to work with code. It’s called NavEditor. I’ve attached a screenshot below, as you can see it’s extremely simple.

NavEditor is smart enough to pull data directly from the Airports Repository for fields like elevation, latitude, and longitude.NavEditor is fully open source and available on GitHub here. You can download the first release here. The installer may look a little different to what you’re used to, but I assure you it’s safe.

Please note it is Windows only. When you open it for the first time, it will prompt you to select the location of your local copies of the Airports and Navigation repos. It needs this as it will write directly to the Nav repo so all you have to do is commit the changes, and it also needs your local copy of the Airports repo to pull data from. Once you set these, you won’t be prompted again. It’s made to remember your choice.

If you’re interested in Airport and Navigation editing, be sure to check out the Airport Editing Team.

I also wrote a blog post about how I made this. It’s a bit technical, but here it is nevertheless.

Screenshot

Download

Important
This application is still (to an extent) a work in progress, and I’m open to suggestions. The main pain point for now is the level of technical knowledge needed. It’s less than before, but if you don’t under Git/GitHub I recommend leaving this one be.

17 Likes

Good job Kai! 👏👏👏

1 Like