Intersecting runway landings?

What are IFATC rules regarding allowing landing on intersecting runways? I just had a go around at 200ft from 8L because an aircraft landed on one of the 22s as I was really close to landing (no risk of collision but realism is a thing). A similar incident happened last time I saw intersecting runways used, that time was at BWI. Does anyone else feel that intersecting runway landings actually become counterproductive sometimes?

They should really have a mandatory rule onto using the runway procedures being used in real life. I don’t like the way they do it too.

Then you end up with massive arrival queues.

@TheAviationGallery Landing on intersecting runways is not an intersection departure lol

2 Likes

Eh, sorry about that, I misread your post.

To answer your question, we don’t really have rules on intersection runway landings. We try to utilise all runways if possible, but of course, if the intersection makes things less efficient, we generally avoid using that specific runway. For example, at CYVR yesterday, we avoided Runway 13 (a intersecting runway) for the Flash Flight due to the high amount of departing aircrafts on 08R.

2 Likes

it was today by the way.

I was just wondering about protocol. I actually initiated the go around myself for an aircraft on the runway when I’m below 200ft. I wouldn’t have hit it anyways, it was landing on an intersecting runway lol

Adding onto what Shane said, IFATC is trained to use all available runways. This meaning that we use runways based on wind not realistic procedures. And as Shane said you can contact your controller if the airport was controlled :)

1 Like

The separation requirement is that the other aircraft has cleared the intersection prior to the arriving aircraft crossing the threshold. It’s okay if the other aircraft is still on the runway. It’s all about the intersection point.

2 Likes

Here’s the tutorial for departures. True that there isn’t anything specific to arrival/arrival separation for intersecting runways in the manual or tutorials. I basically use the same concepts.

I know it’s different by country IRL. I believe some allow for hold short of intersecting runway landing clearances, and some don’t.

well landings are harder to manage because you can’t tell someone to just stop lol

Unfortunately, no such rule will take place. It is the controller’s discretion whether he/she would like to use realistic procedures or not. Like today’s Flash Flight. CYVR uses 08L arrivals and 08R departures but with the amount of departures, it was impossible.

Now on the other hand, if traffic isn’t to busy, most controllers will use realistic procedures. Hopefully you understand.

1 Like

There is such a thing as Land and Hold Short Operations (LAHSO) IRL, but not in infinite flight. Controllers have to do their best to anticipate in IF.

@xsrvmy PHNL is complete chaos when it is dealing with unrealistic amounts of traffic like today. I’m sorry for your bad experience, unlike most airports in the world, there is just one correct procedure at PHNL, but safely is rarely ever used by IFATC, as it’s also the most common airport procedure IRL. I have a good post I really recommend reading about what that is. I have no idea why both 8s and 22s were in use at the same time as they point quite opposite directions.

1 Like

Hello. I hoped on approach right after this incident and I decided to not allow landings on the 22’s. If you have questions, let me know, I can send you the tower controller at the time?

I’m sorry, @xsrvmy, I stand corrected. I went and checked the manual, and there actually is a procedure for it, glad to see it’s been updated (not sure as of when, but it’s beside the point). The intersection spacing rule is as follows according to section 3.1.1 :

Arriving/departing aircraft must be beyond the runway intersection prior to a departure beginning it’s takeoff roll or an arrival crossing the threshold on an intersecting runway.

Additionally, adding onto what @Chitown mentioned earlier, anticipation should be used as necessary, which can be found in section 3.1.2, and is as follows :

Anticipation is encouraged and should be used when appropriate, for example if a Boeing 737 has already been cleared for take-off and is rolling, rather than issuing a LUAW clearance to the next aircraft, ask yourself if issuing a take-off clearance is appropriate based on the assumption that the first aircraft will be airborne by the time the second aircraft is ready to roll.

Hope this clarifies your question a bit better!

1 Like

It’s fine actually. Really just props to the ATC for handling a big mess. There was like no ATC for 20 minutes before my go around and I had to do two 360s on final because of conflicts. Also no ground controller lol.

1 Like