Intersecting Departures Question

Hello everyone,
I have a question about intersecting departures.

The ATC manual in the User Guide states that controllers must use intersecting departures to save time.

My question is, can pilots be forced to execute an intersected departure if called on by controllers? I like the aesthetic part of departing from the beginning of the runway, so that’s what I always do (I’ve never encountered controllers executing intersecting departures myself). Obviously, it is up to us when flying without controllers, but I did have an instance when a user was warned after not executing an intersecting departure.

The user in question was 4th in line for departure with a Cessna 208, while the smallest aircraft after that was a Boeing 757. I was 6th. The controller told the 208 to line up and wait, skipping everyone ahead, but the 208 hesitated. The 208 was warned.

1 Like

Hi,

This clause instructs our controllers not to deny an aircraft the option of using an intersection departure. If a plane wishes to depart from the end, they are allowed to do so. Additionally, if a pilot prefers to depart from a point partway down the runway, that is also permitted. This encourages our controllers to be flexible.

Looking ahead, with Drag and Taxi becoming more prevalent in the future, if a controller issues a taxi route, pilots will be required to follow it. However, we will provide guidance for this feature upon a more official release of it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the response @Drummer.

So it is mainly up to the pilot to decide if they want to execute an intersection. Controllers can neither deny or force one. Still, what happens if a controller issues a line up and wait/takeoff clearance when an aircraft is in line?

Side Note: could you share more information about this “Drag & Taxi” feature? I know it means controllers picking taxi routes, but I’ve never ran into it here on the IFC.

1 Like

I don’t tend to see that very often; however, I’d just follow those instructions if that were the case.

Right now, select airports and controllers are able to issue the instructions but if that is the case, a route will show up on your map

1 Like

Ah, thank you, I didn’t know it was already in practice.

1 Like

Yeah absolutely follow this! I have done this a couple times but only when really busy and trying to squeeze as many departures between arrivals as possible. It is extremely efficient to have 2 aircraft line up at intersecting departure points if the layout allows as you are not having to wait for aircraft to line up possibly very slowly with an aircraft inbound. There is plenty of instances of this being used at busy airports IRL as well at airports such a Heathrow and Paris CDG.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.