International Runway Markings

So we know that IF currently have single digit runway numbers for well, single digit runway numbers…

So what I have suggested before is to perhaps make two separate types of runway numbers

US: 2L
EU/International: 02L (Just like Singapore)

Yes, a preceding zero makes the difference.

Minor suggestion, may end up getting closed within one day, who knows?

(Kindly inform me if it’s a duplicate)

7 Likes

IF is very US flight rules based, that’s just how it is unfortunately. Same with the TL 180 for example.

1 Like

Oh by the way what’s TL 180?

Transition Level of Flight Level 180.

1 Like

Ah yes but I think that’s flexible as when I do PG ATC at WSSS I don’t clear people for transition at or below 5000ft as what they always say

The established Transition Altitude is 11,000ft and Transition Level is FL130 for Singapore so I follow that :P

Yeah IF follows United States flight rules.

1 Like

The transition you give as ATC in IF has nothing to do with transition altitude and level. The transition you give as ATC is the lowest altitude you want that traffic to pass through your zone - i.e. if he stays above that altitude he won’t interfere with your landing and take-off traffic.

1 Like

Funny… I don’t think we have that here… Perhaps just for the FAA? There’s only an advisory note to pilots in the AIP to not climb above 3000ft while departing as that may cause collision with arriving aircraft

Altitude constraints on departure are in the SIDs.

Same for arrivals, altitude constraints are shown in the chart for the STAR.

If an aircraft requests to transit the zone they will be given an altitude to do so or they may be denied entry if the zone is busy.

Well we really don’t have things like that

At most the aircraft would just be told to hold at a specialized holding area like BOBAG, SAMKO, NYLON, etc…

As for the altitude thing, we have the Semicircular and the Quadrilateral Separation Rule (something like northbound flies at an odd level and southbound even level if you get what I mean)

As noted, all constraints (speed and altitude) are in the SID and STAR charts. I can see they are there in the charts for WSSS, this is what the pilots look at and follow, and what shows in the FMC when that SID/STAR is selected (obviously any specific ATC instruction may override that). They are designed so arriving and departing traffic do not conflict.

Ok I’m confused… Are you referring to those SID and STAR charts which show the restrictions in altitude, speed and also the heading from one waypoint to the other?

Yes. Those are the charts the pilots use to plan the departure and arrival, and also tie in with the constraints that the FMC includes when selecting any particular SID and STAR.

I was addressing your point about “There’s only an advisory note to pilots in the AIP to not climb above 3000ft while departing as that may cause collision with arriving aircraft”. That is irrelevant. What is relevant is what is in the charts and the altitude constraints in the charts are far more complex and SID/STAR specific.

Actually you’ve strayed off-topic more than I did… It was originally about transitions, not SIDs and STARs… I know the FAA has transition for GA aircraft to pass through busy airspaces but for us really the TL is only meant for the pilot to change the QNH to Std.

The transition level does only mean the change from standard to local QNH (the one you specified of local QNH to standard is actually the transition altitude which is relevant for a departure).

Transition does not equal transition level, they are not the same thing anywhere as I explained in my earlier post.

I thought for departure, the TA is the start to change the QNH to Std. and it should be changed before reaching TL130

What I’m saying is because IF follows FAA laws, the term “transition” seem to be very different between FAA and ICAO-following countries

It is but you said transition level in your post not transition altitude. TA is for departure and when you go from local pressure to standard, transition level is for descent when you go from standard to local pressure. Don’t mix the terms transition altitude and transition level, they are not the same thing.

The local pressure is the pressure at the relevant departing/arriving airport. For GA when you don’t go above the TA you can get an area QNH you use to set the altimeter.

TA and TL vary all over the world. They can be as low as a few thousand feet (AMS has a TA on the SID charts of 3000ft) or as high as 18,000ft (in the US TAs are 18,000ft). TL is usually higher than the TA.

Some more information in my post here

I stand partially corrected I believe but thanks for the extended clarification anyway

For departure, TA
For arrival, TL

Nothing to do with what the FAA says about “transition” as compared to Singapore

Done :)