Interesting or Humorous stories

This use to be a topic but it was closed since no one used it. I’ll go ahead and start by making another one.

Feel free to share any type of stories you have either in the Airport or on a Flight.
They can be Funny, Interesting or whatever you think would be good to share.


I’ll start off with mine quickly. I paid for a window seat on United and it was around 30 bucks since it was towards the middle of the cabin. This mother and her daughter were next to me on this flight. As soon as they sat down the mom asked if her daughter and i could switch seats as she’s nervous to fly and likes the window. I get it if a kid is scared to fly but 1. Don’t go for a window seat. You never know what you’re gonna see. So I politely declined because i had paid for the seat 3 months in advanced. I would’ve given the seat up if I didn’t pay for it but since I did I wasn’t gonna let my money go to waste. Anyways she got all mad at me about how inconsiderate i was so I just told her “if you really want a window seat go pay the extra 30$.” She got even more mad and eventually the guy in front of me stuck up for me and then the flight attendant came in and offered them a seat in the back. Luckily during the rest of the flight I had the row to myself.


about the closest thing to pure bliss one can experience when travelling - an empty row.

I’ve not been fortunate to have that happen on a mainline flight yet, but I have had it happen on a regional hop. Only 7 people on that flight.


Wow 7? That’s nice.

Yep - they didn’t even call boarding groups, they just boarded us all at the same time 😆


alright I got a good one

Back in December of 2017 my family and I were traveling back to California from San Antonio, Texas, where my Aunt and Grandma live. The scheduled flight was from KSAT-KSFO with Southwest. If I remember correctly, the flight was supposed to leave at around 4:30 pm local time. We boarded our plane, which just happened to be a brand new, never been commercially operated 737 MAX. All three of us sat in a row and were stunned by the planes cleanliness and atmosphere. It was amazing, we had literally never seen anything like it. The time is now 4:30 PM and we are still at the gate. Another half hour passes by, and we are still at the gate. Apparently the plane had some sort of part missing of the engine, and could not be fixed within a decent amount of time because of the part being a few states away from Texas, which would take days to deliver. Everyone got off of that flight, and headed into the terminal to board another plane. The time is about 6:20 pm local and we got into another plane. This one was a 737-800 if I remember correctly. The flight was scheduled to leave at around 6:45 if I remember correctly. Good news: it did! We took off at around 6:50 and started flying to SFO.

but of course something went wrong lol

About 40 minutes into the flight we got an announcement from the pilot saying that there was a small crack in the windshield of the cockpit, which meant we had to turn back to San Antonio. So we did, and we landed at about 8:30 PM. Apparently if we had continued the flight, the crack could have gotten much worse.

We thankfully got another flight back home and this time, everything went smoothly. We landed in late at night and made it home safely. Definitely the craziest trip back home for us lol

Hope ya enjoyed, this took like 20 mins to type 👌


how did that take 20 minutes 😂


Aisle seats are best for anxious flyers, so they can stand up and move around (when appropriate), which increases the levels of endocannabinoids (which help you feel calmer) in your bloodstream, which helps regulate your parasympathetic nervous system.

That’s why movement in a plane is so important for anxious passengers!

How do I know this? It’s a side effect of two PhyD parents.


This isn’t my story, but here’s a humorous video about American Airlines flight delays

1 Like

I’m a slow typer lol

Alright, gather round, folks:

It was the Summer of 2016, and I was in Sweden. I was actually visiting my step grandmother, who I’ll just saw was quite high up in US-Sweden relations.

The flight there is fine, and 10 days later, it’s time to leave. The plan is to fly Stockholm to Newark, then on to Minneapolis.

We show up at Alranda, everything’s fine and dandy until ”Passengers on United flight 68 with service to Newark, this is a delay announcement. We have an issue with a flap on the left wing, which will need extensive repair.”

The new time? Well, more than 3.5 hours later. It’s not a bad place to be stuck, but when I was not quite 7, and my sister not even 4, it’s a doozy.

Finally, we board the 757, and fly the 8 and a half hours to Newark. As we’re on the approach, and the FA’s are collecting the final round of trash, the plane sort of drops, and the left wing dips (100% severe turbulence).

People scream, but one of the FAs in the galley starts basically wailing. The pilot comes on a few minutes later and explains that the beverage cart she was securing went airborne and smashed down on her thigh, probably breaking her femur, which is a medical emergency (severing your femoral artery is very, very bad if it happens).

We got priority landing and taxi, and the FA is wheeled away by paramedics at the gate. By the time we deplane, we had missed our connection by about 3 and a half hours.

It’s peak travel time, so not any room on standby to Minneapolis for days. After taking a United rep for the better part of an hour, my mom talked our way onto an 11:00 PM flight to Des Moines, in about 4 hours. My dad meanwhile was running around Newark Airport with my sister, trying to wear her out.

We finally land in Des Moines at some ungodly hour, check into the hotel United gave us, and fell asleep instantly. In the morning, we ended up just driving to Minneapolis, about 3.5 hours.

It was quite the saga.


I was boarding an American Airlines flight relatively early in the night in (very humid) Florida on my way home to Portland, OR. They had the AC on in the plane and the temperature difference made fog start to build up. Usually, the fog would dissipate but it was so severe people were actually having a hard time seeing, likely fogging up their glasses, and some were having a hard time breathing. Overall just a fun experience, though.

There was also a baby on the flight. However, it ended up being probably the only positive baby experience I’ve had on a flight because of his laughing


dunno if this was big, but at CLT (on a connecting flight home from houston) I lost my brother for a while, and a stranger said he had spotted him, we found him at the GATE we had just came off of. apparently he had “been bored” and had sat down at the seat closest to said gate.

1 Like

sounds like a double whammy

1 Like

yikes! sounds horrible

1 Like

Not from me, but from my mom. My mom was flying from Wichita and was rushing due to her being a little late. She couldn’t figure out which gate it was as there were two gates. She asked which one was going to Dallas I think? American failed to clarify what gate it was at and Wichita failed at making it easy to find. Anyway…The woman said “Umm….there’s only one gate here.” That was the end of that.


Wow that’s very…regional

1 Like

On a Southwest flight from Long Beach (KLGB) to Bellingham (KBLI) stopping but not changing planes in Las Vegas (KLAS)…

First leg— fuel meter was broken so the pilots were using dip sticks, some of which were broken. This delayed us at least 30-45 minutes. Long story short, to guarantee we’d make it to Vegas, we had to pack wayyy more fuel than we could land with. We ended up cursing at only FL200 and at almost the max speed. We descended early, leveled off, put out flaps 40, gear, spoilers, and gunned it. The captain then made a remark about the environment.

Second leg— at KLAS, the winds were shifting so much that taxied from runway to runway so many times we passed the same taxiway intersection near a VOR like 3 times . Then we didn’t have enough fuel to make it to Bellingham so we had to go back to the gate and get more fuel. It was at least 95 degrees (F), and the cabin was probably 85 degrees. Someone asked if we were driving to Bellingham. Oh yeah, forgot to mention we were the only ones staying on the plane at KLAS, even though both flights were full. We got to go to the front row. Anyways, after a long departure queue, we finally took off. I never, never, get motion sickness. However, as soon as we made a climbing right turn, I was getting nauseous. I spent the entire flight except for the short cruise trying not to throw up. Idk why but I was dizzy for my entire vacation and had the same issue in the car for over a week after the vacation. At least the descent into Bellingham was pretty. Finally, we got to our hotel right across from the airport— you could see people walking in. While checking in for our room, we ran into one of the pilots. Turns out it was his first flight for Southwest.


Oh man, that seems like a lot of fun 😂


Stock photo of oxygen masks deployed on an airliner

This is a true story of an incident aboard a Sun Country Airlines B737-800.

This was in February of 2018, on a flight from Minneapolis (MSP) to Los Angeles (LAX).

We got to the airport I think around 10:00 AM, for our noon flight to see my grandma in the LA area. After clearing security, we entered the terminal and found our gate. We boarded right on schedule, pushed, and taxied to the runway.

The takeoff and initial climb was completely normal, and quite smooth, so I settled in with a book a few minutes after leaving MSP behind.

The first sign of anything remotely off was the pain. My ears began to hurt quite badly, beyond anything I’d ever felt on an airplane. Glancing out the window, we appeared to have leveled off, so there was no obvious cause. Still, I brushed it off as just a normal part of flying.

There was a sort of murmur through the cabin about people’s ears hurting, and so it began clear that I wasn’t the only one feeling it. Some babies began to cry, but still, people sort of just ignored it and went on with their flight. The flight attendants began their first drink service. Besides the ear pressure, nothing was too out of the ordinary.

Then, whoosh! The panel on the ceiling popped open, and the oxygen masks fell from their compartments. A hush fell over the cabin. By this point in my life, I had probably heard the safety announcement more than 50 times, so instinctively, I reached towards the mask, pulled it towards me, places it over my nose and mouth, tightened the mask, and breathed.

The FAs immediately went back to the galley, and started shouting commands to ensure the passengers had masks on. My mom, who was sitting next to me, affixed her mask than ensured mine was properly secured. I saw my dad, a row ahead of me with my younger sister, doing the exact same thing.

Less than 30 seconds after the masks deployed, the plane jolted and began descending. The left wing dipped sharply downwards, and we made a 180 ° turn, presumably back towards the Twin Cities. After all, we were less than 30 minutes into our flight.

The cabin remained dead silent, with only the sounds of the steady breath of 180 passengers to fill the air. After maybe 3 minutes, the first officer came on the intercom.

“Hello folks from the flight deck. Thank you for being so cooperative with the masks there. We are having some issues with our pressure system at this time, its not a full scale rapid depressurization, but still enough of an issue to warrant the masks. That being said, we are diverting back towards Minneapolis/Saint Paul. Federal regulations require you to remain seated with your seatbelts fastened until we get back to the gate in Minneapolis. Again, we appreciate the cooperation, and we should be on the ground shortly.”

With a reassurance from the pilots, the passengers could breathe easier. You could feel the plane descending rapidly, as it procedure in these situations.

The atmosphere in the cabin became more and more relaxed, until “beep, beep, beep!” A loud, shrieking alarm was coming from the rear of the aircraft, near the back galley. I couldn’t quite place the sound at first, but wondered if it was some kind of pressure warning system.

A few minutes after the pilot’s first announcement, they spoke again. “We are continuing course to Minneapolis at this time, but have leveled off at 15,000 feet. You may now remove the masks. To address the alarm, it is the smoke detector in the, uh back galley. Rest assured, we have confirmed there is no smoke or fire on this aircraft, and the running theory is that the pressure issues messed up the detectors. We will have them shut off shortly for ya.”

They were not, in fact shut off shortly. The alarm blared as we made our approach into Minneapolis, and remained on for the rest of the flight. I stared out the window as we came in on a very fast short final. As we passed over the threshold of the runway, I spotted at least 10 fire trucks and a handful of ambulances, along with a smattering of other emergency response vehicles, lining the airfield.

Our touchdown was hard and extremely fast, by far the fastest I’ve ever experienced. We braked HARD, and made the first runway exit. They must have had priority taxi, because they absolutely blew through every taxiway and taxiway intersection, as all the planes were holding for us.

We pulled into the gate without ever stopping, and were immediately surrounded by the emergency vehicles again. The FA told us to hang tight for just a couple more minutes, while the jet bridge was attached. A firefighter bordered the plane, went to the rear galley, messed around with the smoke alarm, and finally got it to shut off, prompting a round of applause from the passengers.

After getting back into the terminal, our plane was unloaded and towed away to what I’d assume is a maintenance hangar. It was only 2 short hours until we were in the air again, on board another Sun Country 737-800.

All in all, while it was a scary experience, everyone was A-OK, and we did get to LA, albeit about 3 and a half hours late.

I just thought it would be fun to share this story with IFC!


And I’d thought I’d seen it all… 🫣

1 Like