Intense headwind between NZAA and YSSY

Fellas, if you’re planning on flying from NZAA to YSSY plan your fuel accordingly. The headwind on the route is at 150 kts. I carried an extra 45 minutes worth the fuel and still ran out of fuel 50nm away from YSSY. Good luck!

7 Likes

Flash news, you didn’t bring any “extra fuel” if you ran out

2 Likes

Yeah I guess

Use windy.com next time :)

Use a lower altitude. Maybe FL260 or plan a longer route around the strong winds.

Check this flight:

JQ216 AKL-MEL

I was flying from NTAA (Tahiti) to NZAA, and my flight took 2h longer due to 180kts headwind at FL380. My GS was average 320kts. However, Simbrief did a good job calculating fuel :)

1 Like

That’s why I always have at least 1:30 mins fuel extra on long haul flights ;)

Also had to go around once on 05R NZAA due to strong crosswind.

Same for me, headwind was at 175kts at one point and ground speed was 336kts. I used Simbrief as well but overlooked the fuel info smh 🙄

1 Like

At NZAA I was on final with 40kt crosswind. Landed pretty good. Use that Rudder!

Yee agree

Weather ain’t looking good within the TFR…

28%20PM

That’s because this is what you flew through (or at least tried to):

This is my FPL from RAR-SYD.
Green circle indicates very strong headwinds. Distance covers would be longer but with a shorter flight time than flying a more direct route.

1 Like

Thats awesome! I kept on descending trying to find a smoother ride and minimize the headwind but it didnt work.

1 Like

Wow, thats an awesome illustration. Thanks

1 Like

Yes, you should always check weather before you fly. Also when you are going to be afk. That way you know if you need to speed up because you are going to hit a headwind or slow down because of a tailwind, etc. Some great sites are Windy and nullschool.net, but I find nullschool.net to be more simple. That’s what I use. That’s what that “illustration” was above. However, here approaching Dubai, I currently have a 1 knot crosswind😂 Anyhoo, PM me if you would like more info regarding weather and/or how to use nullschool.net . Hope this helps!! :D

You should post this here!

That way people following the thread know and an plan around it.
Thanks for telling us!

I appreciate that! Most definitely will! Thanks!

1 Like

If you don’t want to run out of fuel, then I would highly recommend fpltoif.com by Chirs_S. It uses Simbrief to give you an FPL and fuel calculations accounting for winds along your route, so you know how much fuel to bring every time. I’ve used it for all my flights and haven’t ran out of fuel once.

1 Like