Initial climb and autopilot activation

At which altitude ends the INITIAL climb? At which height to you activate the autopilot?

1 Like

The initial and final altitude is up to you. A good website like https://fpltoif.com/ can give you the Cruise altitude for your flight based on your weight.

Your A/P is usually activated at 5000ft in the real world. I activate it at 3000 AGL.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by initial climb but I just climb to my cruise altitude and then step climb after that. My “initial” climb is normally around FL310-340. I activate AP at 5000ft AGL but it’s really personal preference

I think he means the brief period of manual flight just after takeoff. Not all the way to cruise.

2 Likes

I heard that the initial climb is the immediate climb after takeoff which is steeper to get off the ground and later you will lower your Vs to climb to cruising altitude

“the brief period of manual flight” wHaT’S tHat @Tim_B ?!!!

1 Like

They activate it once they reach their speeding up altitude, can be at 1500ft or 3000ft AGL depending on the noise restrictions or higher in peculiar SIDs (Departure charts)

1 Like

You can activate the A/P on climb-out depending on your own abilities and preferences. Can be great fun to fly the aircraft manually to FL100 or more if you have the capacities (are not too busy with other things (e.g. ATC)).

Thank you :-D @JulianB @OiseauPlume

2 Likes

No problem!

1 Like

Ah ok. Then my initial climb is to about 2,500ft AGL

1 Like

Wait… you’re telling me that people don’t use autopilot once they lift off?

Jokes aside, the A/P activation is up to you. From what I’ve heard, the minimum altitude is 400 agl. Many pilots like to fly it up to a higher altitude. I personally turn on the A/P around 5-10,000 feet, depending on how busy the airspace is. The highest I’ve ever turned it on was at my cruise of FL350.

3 Likes

I usually turn on LNAV as soon as practical, and VNAV when I am at climbing speed and LNAV is on. IIRC I turned on AP at 10000ft once for some hand flying fun :D