Infinite “Space” Flight

Future feature request/idea, this may even need its own app from FDS: For a while now I’ve been wishing that I had a space flight simulator. For me space flight is a bucket list item and a very large interest of mine. IF has given me a significant amount of enjoyment and flight sim satisfaction. The thought occurred to me that the absence of buildings and scenery would make for a realistically normal characteristic when descending into the atmosphere of Mercury or Jupiter’s iO moon. Whether as an addition to the existing IF or as a new app by FDS I think that they’re in a great position to adjust some coding around for a very cool experience in space flight. The variety of current space vehicles coupled with some prototype vehicles in which the staff can really get creative opens a large window of opportunity for the developers. With global around the corner and the rumored time jump feature for really long flights, this same concept could be used for turning month long travel time into an hour or so.

Yes, this is out there for sure. As a community we have a diversity of members that bring a whole gamut of insight and critique to the table and I’m very much looking forward to some responses. Now, that being said, please curb any Uranus jokes that reference a biological parallel. Unless it’s particularly hilarious, in that case please don’t hold back as long as you’re within community guidelines :-)

23 Likes

Man this is a great idea!
But the time that will take to make space flight will make IF Updates impossible.

4 Likes

on April fools some dev’s made a joke about space flight getting added and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but someone said they were considering it.

3 Likes

I think that may be the reason why the space shuttle was in the game once upon a time

2 Likes

That was actually a new scenery of global flight…

2 Likes

oh well, still something to look forward to

2 Likes

This would be a very interesting feature.e you’d never find me because I’d be all the way out of the Milky Way lol

3 Likes

I was thinking the same idea, that it might be too much coding and sheer volume to implement. My hypothesis is that if FDS would ever expand their operation after several successful quarters with IF that perhaps a parallel operation might catalyze this program within the chassis of the global program. That is assuming the projections and existing user interest support such a motion.

3 Likes

I would highly doubt this coming any time soon, especially because the space shuttle was removed, and it was due in part to it “causing issues with our current goals”.
https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/why-was-the-shuttle-removed/52918/60

2 Likes

I think I would have to move to the Deep Tundra of Alaska to do that one. I’m going to have an extremely hard time getting my wife to deal with global flight, much less,galaxy flight.

4 Likes

@a380fan Agreed, and as we know the devs focus on one project at a time and I see this “possibility” in the far distant/non-existent future. I would be all over a project like this.

6 Likes

Very well put 😂 I might join you since Global would tip my family fit over the edge

2 Likes

With the current technology on mobile devices, this would be extremely hard to do. Either it would be extremely limited, or extremely low quality.

It would definitely be cool. That’s something that would sweep the top 10 list of apps in the App Store. Honestly, that’s something that NASA would definitely sponsor.

2 Likes

Can we please wait for global first…

3 Likes

We’ve been waiting for global all along, that’s nothing new. I made plenty of references to this being a much further in the future/if ever concept.

Please never distract Infinite Flight Developers from Infinite Flight , what they have is so unique🌏

3 Likes

MaxSez: I just saw this nonsense! I can’t beleave topics like this are hitting the main page with 17 members responding + 16 likes! Where have all our IF loyalist & Aviation enthusiast gone. It appears the demographics is shifting to gamers & peanuts. What is to become of us flyers should we hand out free beer and peanuts at the door or nappies?

4 Likes

Feel free to not respond to things that you don’t like.

9 Likes

Amen amen amen well said. @Maxmustang if you don’t like it don’t comment on it.

4 Likes