If you’re not a developer, you might want to skip this post. Please don’t post questions about anything other than Infinite Flight Connect Development in this thread.
With this release of Infinite Flight, we’ve added a new experimental system called Infinite Flight Connect.
What is Infinite Flight Connect (IFC) ?
Infinite Flight Connect is a system that allows external applications to connect to Infinite Flight and control things like the autopilot, the joystick, Mouse, commands (flaps, gear, etc), get the state of the airplane, get the list of surrounding traffic, active ATC frequencies and more…
Do I have to be a developer to use it?
You have to be a developer to program applications to use the system but as a user, you can use applications published by developers. Just enable Infinite Flight Connect in the settings.
How can I find out more about the API?
We have an in house sample application that will be updated when new features regularly:
@carmalonso has recently open sourced his client that already uses IFC:
Is it available for iOS and Android?
Yes, both platforms have support for Infinite Flight Connect.
What kind of apps can we expect?
Here are some ideas I could think of, but the possibilities are endless!
- Moving Map (like ForeFlight)
- Navigation Aid (Helper for Top of Descent, weather, etc…)
- Traffic Viewer
- Sound engine (for Airbus alt callouts and whatnot…)
- Autopilot NAV Mode (by controlling the AP HDG)
- Extra ATC Display
- List of flying airplanes
- Friend finder
- Alternate Control Panel (Altimeter, Airspeed Indicator, etc…)
- Dedicated Instruments (Single Instrument per device)
- Physical Cockpit Elements (with a Raspberry Pi, or any other device that can handle buttons, displays…)
- Joystick Controller Adapter (with a Raspberry Pi that forwards joystick inputs to IFC)
- Auto Checklist (which could automatically extend gear when on final, or turn on strobes when take off clearance is received)
- Auto Heading/Altitude updater when an ATC instruction is received
- Virtual Airlines Reporting System (Blackbox, etc…)
- Flight Recorder (to KML or other format)