Infinite Flight Aircraft Editing Team

I had an idea today which could end all problems between aircraft livery arguments and all the feature requests that come with it. The possibility of an Aircraft editing team abit like IFAET. Many flight sims have the option of community made liveries such as Real flight simulator which has any livery on every aircraft. Ofcourse having this as a community option is a problem as people would be making non realistic liveries. But with a team made up of trusted Infinite Flight users just like IFAET I feel it would work and it would take a lot of workload off staff when it comes to making liveries for aircraft. Instead of staff having to go out of their way to make liveries for us instead the team of Aircraft Editors could and staff could just confirm the livery is worthy to make it and could be included with navigation updates. Thanks for taking the time to read this topic and feel free to leave a vote 😉

im pretty sure this has been reccomended before, let me pull it up. however, that one got closed, read through that.

This seems like it could be considered both a duplicate and not a duplicate. While OpenSource Livery Templates exists, that is for anyone to be able to make them given that they have the right software, and this is for a select bunch of people to be able to do so. Interesting concept, I want to see what the mods/staff think on this.

4 Likes

@Mukundan_Srivatsa

Not the same thing 🙂

5 Likes

@Mukundan_Srivatsa Its not the same thing 🙂

2 Likes

As @dca.iad.aviation stated there is a difference weather staff feel there is or not is their choice not yours.

2 Likes

Going to clear a vote for this request, here’s why:

• Firstly this solves our diversity problem which is becoming quite an issue here on the IFC. Some people think their countries are underrepresented, and certain others are over represented. With this, they will be able to add whichever liveries they please.
  • This eases the workload of the devs, as you mentioned Marc. I think this is quite important because it allows them to focus more on other more important aspects of the sim
  • We would see a significant decrease in feature requests, meaning less topic bumping and ‘clutter’
  • Finally, it would be an interesting project for the community to get involved with, like the airport editing team.

Oh and to anyone feeling obliged to call this a duplicate topic, probably best to let the mods decide.

18 Likes

Just to clarify, I understand it’s not the same thing, but the feature request for IFLET got closed and the Open Source Livery Feature Requests are the closest thing to this. Just trying to provide a second topic if this gets closed. Hopefully it wont.

Sorry if I offended anyone or caused any confusion

1 Like

Just cleared up a vote for this! The devs can work on other things regarding the sim and the countless of arguments that have occurred over liveries wouldn’t be such a problem with this.

3 Likes

I see the intention with this idea. All of the features requests for livery revisions or additions could be essentially wiped out, bringing the best of both worlds. However I don’t see this happening, or at least any time soon. The development team does an excellent job with everything we currently have available.

I’m not undermining the staff what so ever they do great jobs but I feel with my feature liveries could be updated regularly and a lot faster

5 Likes

If this was a copy or something like that, it would already be closed I’m sure they have seen all the arguments anyways. PS wish i could vote but don’t have any to spare!

5 Likes

There are multiple issues in implementing this. As said before, the team doesn’t have the resources to do this. Adding liveries and aircraft is very expensive especially at the standard Infinite Flight produces their aircraft products at. You’ve also got to worry about file space and liveries on aircraft since they take up a lot of that space. Making planes and liveries is very complex. That’s partly why they have professionals doing their aircraft modeling and what not. It’s also been said that a large amount of liveries flying at once around you will… well… turn your device into a potato. Sounds like a cool concept but seems unrealistic right now.

11 Likes

As the saying goes project metal could allow this

2 Likes

Project metal primarily focuses on the graphics engine not anything aircraft related. Graphics and file space are two different things :)

4 Likes

I think Jason had answered this the last time it had come up too…

And why it was difficult to implement community-edited liveries and aircraft:

Overall, we’ve had a lot of people compare IF to RFS with the issue of custom liveries. I’m no expert in 3D modelling and painting and coding, but I somehow get the feeling that it’s not as simple a job as people think it is - and that the staff isn’t currently able to and/or focusing on driving that aspect.

This topic has some great points and great intentions, however I doubt they’re feasible in the near to medium-term future.

5 Likes

Like you I am no expert, but it seems to me that the engine that IF was built on is not user friendly to anyone. It is remarkable to me that there are no clouds, weather (actual rain or snow) in this sim.

I love IF, it’s developers and the community, but although I support IF 100%, in any other scenario, not having clouds weather or a building or 2 would be a non-starter for me and a few folks. The fact that this sim is not drowning in liveries is remarkable and really the most disappointing to me. For what we have currently, we should have 10 liveries for JetBlue not 1, we should have 15 liveries for Southwest not 4 or 5. I would vote for this, but it’s not realistic, it should happen though.

4 Likes

They are working on Clouds Mate, they will come at some point

1 Like

Absolutely fantastic idea marc. Voted 👌

3 Likes

Brilliant idea, this is needed. Voted 🇮🇪

2 Likes