IndiGo: Maiden ATR Flight

Indian low cost carrier IndiGo yesterday commenced its regional jets ATR operations, with the maiden flight taking off from Hyderabad to Mangalore.
The first flight of the ATR plane took off from the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Hyderabad on Thursday morning to Mangalore, the airline said in a release.

IndiGo’s tagline for the launch of ATR services. Credits to IndiGo’s Official Facebook Page

By December 2019, IndiGo, with its fleet of brand new 21 ATRs, would have connected about 15 tier-II and tier-III new cities on its network, thereby giving a big boost to regional connectivity, the airline’s president and whole-time director, Aditya Ghosh, said in a statement.

"With more ATRs joining our fleet in the months to come, we are much closer to realising the dream of the common man," he said.

“The IndiGo network will expand not only to provide connectivity between these smaller cities, but our strong network of domestic and international markets will also open up immense connectivity to and fro for these smaller markets,” Ghosh said.

As for my personal opinion, I am really happy for IndiGo and the Indian Airline industry which is certainly not the best at the moment. This step marks huge progress for IndiGo as with the ATR operating domestically, their A320 and A320 NEO variants can operate international routes to the Middle East and Singapore as well.

IndiGo’s ATR 72-600 turboprop. Credits to Shamal Elambilatt (Sha Creations) on JetPhotos.net

Information Credits to The Times of India

8 Likes

They started services yesterday, not today :)

Copy and Paste errors.

11 Likes

Their blue livery looks great on the ATR😍

Looking forward to seeing more of those.

4 Likes

Haha true this. Lemme just change that. Sorry guys!

1 Like

Sure does. I love it too!

2 Likes

I heard they will be using Hyderbad as their domestic base, which is where most of their ATRs will be flying out of.

Anyways, really proud of IndiGo. Just ten years after commencing operations, and already India’s largest airline, along with the largest order for the A320N. 👍

2 Likes

That’s a “yay!” from me since I reside there presently.

Yup. IndiGo has given a lot to the Indian aviation industry. Really proud of them.

3 Likes

Nice! I don’t expect Goa to get the ATRs cuz if higher demand on Goa flights, but that means I might see the A321neos whenever they receive them 😍
Edit: apparently delivery of the 321Ns is towards the end of next year. Can’t wait!

1 Like

This ATR thing was because of the government’s recent decision to revive Tier3’s airports. Like Rajahmundry, Hosur, Pondicherry and many more.

2 Likes

Yea, I read about that. I’m glad the gov’t did that, though I haven’t looked into many details to see how beneficial it would be.

I actually also read that Indigo was considering seaplanes to fly in and out of very rural areas. I think this would be a very unique and pretty cool way to serve these areas, but honestly don’t see this happening anytime soon.

I just booked a flight from Kolkata to Guwahati in mid jan 2018 and the flight time they showed is 1hr40mins. I think they are going to use the atrs on this route.

3 Likes

Have fun! I hope to fly in a turboprop one day, as I have only when I was too young to remember. Since then it’s just been Jets, that too mostly in 77Ws. I’d love to see what a small aircraft like the -72 flys like 👍

1 Like

When booking, the flight icon should’ve been a turboprop instead of an A320.

Wish they would use ATRs on Middle Eastern Routes, doing one next month :)

1 Like

I read this as “maiden ifr flight” and I was going to flip. Great little prop though.

1 Like

I don’t know the extent to which this is true, but I heard somewhere that IndiGo might be purchasing A350s/A330NEOs in the coming future. It was probably just a rumor, but if this is indeed in IGO’s fleet expansion plan it’d be a delight to see their livery on widebodies!

1 Like

I guess you’re right, but it’s a second party report:

https://m.economictimes.com/industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/indigo-may-induct-wide-bodied-planes-to-fly-overseas-as-air-india-sale-in-slow-lane/articleshow/61759558.cms

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.