Incredible visit to British Airways Maintenance Glasgow

Sharing some photos of a recent visit to British Airways Maintenance Glasgow, or BAM G as it is known.
BAM G carries out all the scheduled maintenance for British Airways short haul fleet, namely Airbus a321, a320, a319 as well as the a318.
Incredibly, there are no test flights after maintenance visits, even after a heavy maintenance visit (D check) the aircraft’s first flight is with paying passengers back to London. Little do they know that the aircraft they are in was completely stripped back to its bare bones just days or hours prior to them boarding. A credit to the accuracy and skill of the work force.
350 people are employed at BAM G, with engineering shifts day and night to get the aircraft back into service as quickly as possible.
A truly remarkable and fascinating place!

Can anyone guess what the last picture is?

imageimageimage

19 Likes

Wow, that looks really cool!

1 Like

Looks like an APU 🤔

3 Likes

Last picture looks like an engine to me

2 Likes

Yeah same, I think it is the engine of a narrow body aircraft.

Correct! An APU it is, this is a photo of the nice clean new one, waiting to be installed.

5 Likes

What plane is this? Looks like a B737 to me

Did you write a letter?

BA only operates 737 in Africa.

The photos are an a319. BAM G used to do some of the maintenance of the Gatwick 737 fleet before they were retired.

Interesting fact. The a318 is the only member of the a320 family to operate the PW6000A. This engine during development had so many issues that it actually resulted in the removal of the engines, to be replaced with the CFM56-5B, which was certified for steep approach ops. After a redesign, the PW engine was retested and proved to be successful.
The only thing obviously different between the a318 and the a319 pictured are the number of seats and the fuselage length. If you want to be really picky, operating weights and things like that are also marginally different
This is one of the few things that this particular aircraft doesn’t share in common with any other aircraft in its series.
#kiritotrivia

2 Likes

Do you work at matanice in GLA.

1 Like

a318 also has a larger vertical stabiliser to account for the short fuselage length

No I do not, but asked and manged to tag along with another scheduled visit. Always worth asking!

Who would you ask to get a vist.

Indeed. A crew also discovered that at JFK once when they towed on of the BA A318s in to a hanger and assumed the vertical stabiliser was no taller than on a A319. The confirmation they were wrong came when the stabiliser hit the top of the door frame!

2 Likes

No, engines are too small and too round for a 737

1 Like

Absolute nightmare! A few embarrassed faces I would imagine!

2 Likes

That’s an A320, two overwing exits and a single aisle aircraft.

1 Like

Good spot, this is an a320, although the number of overwing exits is not a hard and fast rule.
Easyjet operate a319 aircraft with 2 overwing exits. I think this is to allow them to add more seats.
For example- https://www.jetphotos.com/registration/G-EZDE