Inaccurate fuel burn

Question, when I fly the Boeing 747, 777-300er,and 777-200LR it seems like I never have adequate fuel like I fill the tanks up to a 100% and I have less than 10 hrs or even less. When i know they can fly for a 12-15 hours with out stopping. Is this on purpose?

Winds Aloft can massively effect your range.

1 Like

You might be flying too fast and your throttle is 100%. It’s best to stay around M.85-M.86 in heavies, and M.77-M.83 in small aircraft. I’ve flown in the 747 for 13 hours, 77L for 18 hours, and the A380 for 14 hours, so there’s something you’re doing wrong. You also might want to try step climbing on long hauls. Start at a low cruise altitude like 29,000-33,000ft, then climb 2,000ft every 2-4 hours. By the time your flight finishes you should be at about 37,000-41,000ft, depending on the aircraft’s service ceiling. This is because heavy planes are not as efficient at high altitudes, and it requires a longer climb, therefore using more fuel.

4 Likes

You will burn more fuel because of the weight. I recommend you check this out:

2 Likes

A have spoken to a moderator/beta tester about this before and they have said that fuel burn isnt 100% real world accurate at the moment. This is to be improved in the future.

Also other factors may contribute like others have said above; winds etc.

Cheers and Merry Christmas🎄 - TFP

1 Like

It’s normal that the fuel is red during the first part of the flight due to weight. It should lighten up and turn normal (white) during or towards the end the flight.
Also, you should have an idea of how long your flight is. Add fuel for that +45 min and a little more. 100% is unnecessary, as it only adds weight thus increasing fuel burn.

I flew LAX-CPH last night. When I departed it said I had 4 hours of fuel remaining. Went to bed, woke up 1 hour out of CPH, and I had 2 hours of fuel left. I landed with 55minutes of fuel left.

So, don’t add all fuel possible, add what’s necessary. Don’t go full throttle on climb, and just wait for your plane to lighten up.

3 Likes