In-Flight Assistant (iOS): Bring IF realism to the next level with the ultimate soundscape add-on!

I don’t have an Android device so I’m not familiar with how Android is set up

Hi @epaga

• device: iPad Pro 12.9 Inch first generation
  • IOS 11.4.1
  • battery saving mode ( in IF ) is on
  • I do use AirPods and I do put them down sometimes during flight. Can’t remember thought if it was during flights where the assistant disconnected . I’ll watch out for that during my next flight.
  • flightplan: I do them in IF converter usually created from simbrief. What form of flightplan would you need?

I don’t use any family sharing

Thanks for looking into this.

Cheers

Bought RAAS. Awesome feature for IF! Thanks

Incoming Hotfix Update 1.062 (just waiting for Apple review):

• Fixed “LONG LANDING” being too sensitive if there was a overrun or long threshold.
  • Fixed “ON TAXIWAY” warning after landing
  • Fixed “FLAPS” warning after landing

Known issues would still be Go Arounds having a few issues, also new “Approaching runway” callouts won’t come after landing (say because you taxi to a different runway) unless you come to a complete stop at least once.

It’s possible this caused the issue - disconnecting headphones seems to screw up IF-A. If you could look for this next flight, that’d be great. Thanks!

So I assume that the silent mode fix for the RAAS system is still in the works?

Oops forgot to add that to the list. That’s in there, too. (Just added it to the change notes since Apple still hasn’t reviewed it yet 😬)

Yep. Happend again. After disconnecting and reconnecting the AirPods. Note: I am still running the IF pre-hotfix 1.062 though

Yep that is the problem. IF-A currently still has an issue (and I haven’t figured out how to fix it) when headphones are disconnected and reconnected. You’ll have to either always leave the AirPods connected or restart IF-A when you re-connect your AirPods. This is not fixed with 1.062.

Well, I know what to do now when it happens. And it reconnects quite easily. So no big drama.
Cheers

@epaga I’ve been able to get around this if I manually switch audio from my AirPods to built in speakers via control center, or if disconnect in settings. Not exactly an easier solution, but maybe that’ll help find a fix.

When IF-A disconects because of unplugging or plugging in a headset, the workaround is pretty easy.

When you have Voice Commands and it’s on, turn it off and on again.
When it’s off, turn it on and off again

This will somehow reset the audio engine and IF-A will instantly reconnect to IF.

Quitting and restarting IF-A will essentially do the same, but all VNAV settings will be lost, which you don’t want when you’ve spent a long time setting it all up.
When you let IF-A reconnect to IF by resetting the audio engine, the VNAV settings will not be lost.

Hope this helps.

I posted something similar a couple of months ago.

Good news! Thanks to your bug reports and pinpointing it to the headphones issue with @Jan’s help, I was able to finally figure out what was going on and now the disconnect issues should hopefully be fixed with the update coming after the one I’ve already submitted (it will be 1.063)!

For anyone interested, In-Flight Assistant works by basically acting like a music player app that plays silence most of the time but plays sound samples whenever needed. The thing about music streams is that iOS by default stops them when you unplug your headphones so that music doesn’t suddenly start blaring out of your speakers when you unplug your headphones. I now found a way to detect when that is going to happen and I will simply continue the stream.

Big yay! This bug has haunted me for months in the form of random users saying they had disconnect issues, only for them to magically go away again (probably because they weren’t using headphones or were not unplugging them).

Edit: 1.062 just hit the App Store! Update to get the latest RAAS bug fixes!

Just tried the new new update and no issues with RAAS now thanks for your hard work what’s next 😁

Well, getting Android up to speed for one…that said, funny you ask because I’ve been working on a different crazy idea. Here’s a rough proof of concept:

The idea is basically a shaky cam during takeoff and landing. Quite a lot of fun, if you ask me. 😁 Is this something people would like?

Hmm it’s cool but I think it needs fine tuning to make it look more realistic. I think it would need a lot of testing to get it just right.

It’s worth pursuing for a bit to see how good you can get it, if it’s possibe to make it more realistic then I think it would be a fantastic addition to the sim.

Yep - again, this is just a rough proof of concept to see if I can control the camera and make it shake based on ground speed. I’d need to think through how best to make it as realistic as possible. Thoughts? Ideas?

Maybe make it more smoother like the camera moves up and down like the pilot were on a hydraulic chair in a truck for example. But honestly even that could look bad.

This would be an awesome feature after fine-tuning, do you think yo could make it shake when there is turbulence?

Very possibly, need to look into what all I can access - another thought I had is turn the camera slightly while making rudder turns or quick pitch changes, just to give a bit more of an illusion of movement.

But yeah, turbulence would be awesome, too, wouldn’t it?

Yes, I would absolutely love that, itd make it so much more realistic. I’d definitely pay for that