"I can definitely say all this takes the realism of IF to the next level. You all will not be disappointed!" - @USA007
Get it here -> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/in-flight-assistant/id1180642964?ls=1&mt=8
( Public beta -> https://testflight.apple.com/join/FXYIV6wG for iOS, https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.epaga.ifassistant for Android)
(Have Android? -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epaga.ifassistant)
BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS, PLEASE READ THIS POST INCLUDING THE FAQ.
Hear over 30 co-pilot voice samples during your flight, whether it’s takeoff callouts like “V₁”, “Rotate!”, or “Positive Rate”, or whether it’s warnings when speed limits are being approached, or confirmation callouts when setting flaps or gear settings.
HOW IT WORKS
Start In-Flight Assistant, then launch Infinite Flight on the same device - you will hear a confirmation that In-Flight Assistant is connected. It will now be watching your flight and be providing the callouts as you configured them within the app. It’s that simple!
The following callouts are provided:
- “80 knots”
- “Positive Rate”
- “Let’s watch our speed, captain” warning when taxiing or flying too fast
- “Gear up/down” confirmation
- “Flaps at XXX degrees” / “Flaps Final” confirmations, each based on aircraft model (note that the new C-130 is supported)
- “Spoilers Retracted”/ “(Flight) Spoilers extended” confirmations. (Spoiler Confirmation)
AUTOMATED GPWS WARNINGS & WAYPOINT ALERT & NAV SYSTEM (IN-APP PURCHASE)
Experience fully-featured GPWS warning callouts such as “TOO LOW, GEAR”, “SINK RATE”, or “PULL UP!” - the system is in accordance with the specification of the real-world Honeywell MK VI GPWS system - with all 6 modes fully supported, including turboprop alternative settings (automatically detected whether the aircraft is a turboprop), Steep Approach Bias, Flap Override settings, and more.
Also enjoy proximity alerts to waypoints and set altitude and speed you want the autopilot to set, per waypoint. (iOS only)
The following callouts are provided:
- Autopilot disconnect warning sound
- “GLIDESLOPE” both quiet and loud, depending on how low you are
- “PULL UP! PULL UP!”
- “TERRAIN! TERRAIN!”
- “DON’T SINK”
- “TOO LOW, TERRAIN”
- “TOO LOW, GEAR”
- “TOO LOW, FLAPS”
- “APPROACHING MINIMUMS”
- “MINIMUMS” or “MINIMUMS, MINIMUMS” (configurable)
- “BANK ANGLE” based on aircraft type, altitude, speed, autopilot setting, etc.
- “RETARD, RETARD” when landing in an Airbus
PASSENGER ANNOUNCEMENTS (IN-APP PURCHASE)
Have a flight attendant be talking to your passengers at various times during the flight. You have the option to have the sound be “muffled” (sounding like it’s coming through the cockpit door) or clear.
- Welcome aboard announcement right at the start
- Arm doors for departure & cross-check
- Safety briefing during pushback / taxi
- Flight attendants, take seats for takeoff when first activating strobes
- “You may move about the cabin now, etc.” when reaching altitude you specify
- Descent beginning when passing altitude you specify
- “Flight attendants, prepare for landing” when reaching altitude you specify
- Welcome post-landing
- Passenger applause if you make a soft landing at less than 350 fps impact
VOICE COMMANDS (IN-APP PURCHASE) - iOS ONLY
Using your headset microphone, use voice commands to control many of the airplane’s systems! Once it is set up, In-Flight Assistant will be listening for your voice to say things like “gear up”, “set heading 2-3-0”, and much more, and your co-pilot will automatically set the autopilot settings for you! It feels magical and keeps your focus on flying the plane.
NOTE: A headset and a relatively quiet environment is recommended for best accuracy of recognizing your commands.
NOTE: A few users with non-American accents have been reporting some issues with the recognition accuracy especially with numbers like ‘set heading’ or ‘set speed’. The stronger your non-American accent, the less accurate the recognition may work for you. After looking into it, it doesn’t look like there’s a whole lot I can do to improve the recognition.
The following voice commands are supported:
• “Gear up” / “Gear down”
• “Flaps 15 degrees” / “Flaps 3” (based on aircraft’s flaps settings)
• “Set heading 1-4-5”
• “Set speed 2-4-5”
• “Set altitude 9 thousand 5 hundred”
• “Set flight level 2-2-0” (use for altitudes above 10k feet)
• “Lock vertical speed”
• “Set vertical speed minus 2 thousand”
• “Beacons on” / “Beacons off”
• “Landing lights on” / “Landing lights off”
• “Strobes on” / “Strobes off”
• “My plane” / “My airplane” (deactivate autopilot)
• “Set V1 1-3-0” / “Set VR 1-5-0” / “Set V2 1-6-0”
• “Set Minimums 4 hundred”
- How much does this cost? Depends on your country. Roughly $4.99 for the core co-pilot app, $4.99 for the GPWS warning system, $4.99 for the Passenger Announcements, $4.99 for the voice commands (detecting a pattern?).
- Is this part of Infinite Flight or a separate app? It’s a separate app, not affiliated with Infinite Flight, but it is an add-on to Infinite Flight.
- What are the system requirements? iOS 10 & the latest version of Infinite Flight
- Do I need a headset for the voice commands? This is strongly recommended - the problem is that otherwise the game sound, the ATC and the co-pilot callouts will be confused as possible voice commands. What may work also is use headphones only and the built-in mic.
Huge thanks to this entire community for their amazing support encouraging me on in the original monster thread where I was asking for feedback & ideas. Thanks to Laura & Infinite Flight for providing an awesome game and an awesome API that makes apps like this one possible.
Also, thanks to @Cameron for his open-source API examples, those were super helpful.
Thanks to my beta testing team for their help! @jasonrosewell @Mark_Denton @Joe @Henrik @Tyler_Shelton @dush19 @Pilothodge80 Tom_Grollman JoshFly8 schyllberg Adrien nicolas (Sorry, the forum only lets me mention 10 users in a post 😬)
Thanks to my wife for programming the “BANK ANGLE” warning. She still wants payment for that. 😜
In-Flight Assistant is a third party add-on to Infinite Flight and is not affiliated with Infinite Flight LLC.
Current Development Planning
You can vote on cards if you have a (free) Trello account!