In-Flight Assistant (Android): V-Speed Update (1.3) is out! Bring your Infinite Flight experience to a new level!

"I can definitely say all this takes the realism of IF to the next level. You all will not be disappointed!" - @USA007

Get it here -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epaga.ifassistant
( Public beta link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.epaga.ifassistant )
(Have iOS? -> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/in-flight-assistant/id1180642964?mt=8)

Having connection issues even though you turned on “IF Connect Enabled” and restarted your device? Check out the Android Connection Guide as well as this page which explains how different Android versions are killing background-running apps to “save battery” and how to stop them from doing so.

BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS, PLEASE READ THIS POST INCLUDING THE FAQ.

Hear over 30 co-pilot voice samples during your flight, whether it’s takeoff callouts like “V₁”, “Rotate!”, or “Positive Rate”, or whether it’s warnings when speed limits are being approached, or confirmation callouts when setting flaps or gear settings.

Check out a 7-minute video of the app in action here -> http://www.inflightassistant.info

HOW IT WORKS

Start In-Flight Assistant, then launch Infinite Flight on the same device (make sure “Enable Infinite Flight Connect” is on in the Infinite Flight settings) - you will hear a confirmation that In-Flight Assistant is connected. It will now be watching your flight and be providing the callouts as you configured them within the app. It’s that simple!

Here is an overview of all callouts and when they come as a PDF. They include the following:

CO-PILOT CALLOUTS

The following callouts are provided:

• “80 knots”
  • “V₁”
  • “V₂”
  • “Rotate”
  • “Positive Rate”
  • “Let’s watch our speed, captain” warning when taxiing or flying too fast
  • “Gear up/down” confirmation
  • “Flaps at XXX degrees” / “Flaps Final” confirmations, each based on aircraft model (note that the new C-130 is supported)
  • “Spoilers Retracted”/ “(Flight) Spoilers extended” confirmations. (Spoiler Confirmation)

AUTOMATED GPWS WARNINGS (IN-APP PURCHASE)

Experience fully-featured GPWS warning callouts such as “TOO LOW, GEAR”, “SINK RATE”, or “PULL UP!” - the system is in accordance with the specification of the real-world Honeywell MK VI GPWS system - with all 6 modes fully supported, including turboprop alternative settings (automatically detected whether the aircraft is a turboprop), Steep Approach Bias, Flap Override settings, and more.

The following callouts are provided:

• Autopilot disconnect warning sound
  • “GLIDESLOPE” both quiet and loud, depending on how low you are
  • “SINKRATE”
  • “PULL UP! PULL UP!”
  • “TERRAIN! TERRAIN!”
  • “DON’T SINK”
  • “TOO LOW, TERRAIN”
  • “TOO LOW, GEAR”
  • “TOO LOW, FLAPS”
  • “APPROACHING MINIMUMS”
  • “MINIMUMS” or “MINIMUMS, MINIMUMS” (configurable)
  • “BANK ANGLE” based on aircraft type, altitude, speed, autopilot setting, etc.
  • “RETARD, RETARD” when landing in an Airbus

PASSENGER ANNOUNCEMENTS (IN-APP PURCHASE)

Have a flight attendant be talking to your passengers at various times during the flight. You have the option to have the sound be “muffled” (sounding like it’s coming through the cockpit door) or clear.

• Welcome aboard announcement right at the start
  • Arm doors for departure & cross-check
  • Safety briefing during pushback / taxi
  • Flight attendants, take seats for takeoff when first activating strobes
  • “You may move about the cabin now, etc.” when reaching altitude you specify
  • Descent beginning when passing altitude you specify
  • “Flight attendants, prepare for landing” when reaching altitude you specify
  • Welcome post-landing
  • Passenger applause if you make a soft landing at less than 350 fps impact

FAQ

• How much does this cost? Depends on your country. Roughly €5-€6 for the core co-pilot app, €5-€6 for the GPWS warning system, €5-€6 for the Passenger Announcements (detecting a pattern?).
  • Is this part of Infinite Flight or a separate app? It’s a separate app, not affiliated with Flying Dev Studios or Infinite Flight, but it is an add-on to Infinite Flight.
  • What are the system requirements? Android 4.1 or higher & the latest version of Infinite Flight
  • Which App Stores did you release it to? Currently Play Store only.
  • What about voice commands? For now, voice commands are iOS-only.

THANKS

Huge thanks to this entire community for their amazing support encouraging me on in the original monster thread where I was asking for feedback & ideas. Thanks to Laura & Flying Dev Studios for providing an awesome game and an awesome API that makes apps like this one possible.

Also, thanks to @Cameron for his open-source API examples, those were super helpful.

Thanks to my beta testing team for their help! @Jan (from http://helpathand.nl) and @USA007 did an AMAZING job of testing. Additional special thanks also to @USA007 for his $100 donation to “kickstart” Android development.

Thanks to my wife Stephi for programming the “BANK ANGLE” warning herself, as well as doing the flight attendant voice for the Passenger Announcements. Thanks to @Mark_Denton, @Jan, and my mom (Lori) for doing the co-pilot voices!

If you’re enjoying the app, could you please take a moment to rate the app and write a short review once you’re able to? That would be very helpful. Thanks!!!

FINE PRINT

In-Flight Assistant is a third party add-on to Infinite Flight and is neither affiliated with Infinite Flight nor Flying Dev Studios.

110 Likes

Oh my god this is great. Amazing work!

12 Likes

Thanks! I’m excited and scared at the same time! Let me know if you run into any issues…

23 Likes

Fantastic job John! Not an android user so can’t download it but just thought I’d say congrats on the achievement.

5 Likes

Fantastic! Will download as soon as i get in and will certainly feedback 👍

1 Like

Already bought and downloading. Thanks @epaga

2 Likes

Fantastic! Bought it and it’s downloading it now :)

3 Likes

erhmagerd I’m getting it rn

4 Likes

I’ve found a minor GUI glitch, shall I PM you?

1 Like

Yes, please (anyone else, as well)! Details I’ll need in addition are: device you’re using, Android version you’re on.

9 Likes

I can definitely say all this takes the realism of IF to the next level. You all will not be disappointed!

9 Likes

Everything is working perfectly, for now! Is it ok to request a stick shaker feature for In-Flight Assistant in this thread?

3 Likes

I want to download it! Too bad I dont have wifi…I’m super excited to use it though!

4 Likes

YAAAY! Great to hear! 😃

Yep - you can request things as long as you don’t expect results. 😃 But I like that idea. 🤔

4 Likes

Bought with all in apps and one thing for you to note : no regrets ;)

Thanks for creating the app!

4 Likes

You’re awesome - thank you. Let me know if you run into issues of any kind.

5 Likes

I’ve just spend about 18€ on this app! I can’t wait to test it tomorrow afternoon! Thanks John for all your efforts for creating IF-Assistant on Android :)

4 Likes

Haha, thanks!

Question: what VS should I be during take off to hear the “Positive Rate” callout?

Obs 1: The take off was smooth and the “Positive Rate” callout is set to on
Obs 2: I’ll test again with the informations I receive, then I’ll detail device, Android version, etc.

4 Likes

Positive Rate should trigger at about 30 feet AGL, regardless of V/S. Does it not for you? V1 / V2 / Rotate / PA are coming though?

3 Likes

No, it doesn’t. I’ll test again. Besides this one, every other Co-pilot call-out are working.
(I can’t buy GPWS and PA right now, but I’ll test every single one when I buy them)

5 Likes