ILS Approaches and Vectors

Why not? Surely if the airport is quiet?

2 Likes

@IceBlue you will never intercept the localizer if your guided straight in. I suggest you learn what the Ils approach means

2 Likes

@Brandon_Sandstrom I was approaching KLAX on Playground, and requested the ILS for runway 25L, and wasn´t given any vectors, but I was cleared to land, is it different on Advanced?

Of course, most playground controllers have no idea what they’re doing.

3 Likes

Definitely a lot diffrent

1 Like

So… where is the localizer in relation to the ILS… cone… I guess. The red arrow

I’ll just leave this here

2 Likes

Why should I get vectored into a 30° entry to capture the localizer? You get the full beam when flying directly into it, don´t you?

So here is an illustration showing the localizer. Think of it like a laser beam aimed up the glide slope and down the center of the runway. The purpose of the ILS is low visibility guidance.

So you have to cross the beam to pick up the centerline.

4 Likes

But how intercepting the localizer from a 30° angle is more effective than entering straight away to the beam?

Because if we just turn you to the runway heading you will never cross the line. To center the localizer

2 Likes

When I was on Solo (and on Playground without ATC), I´d descend to the F.A.P of the runway and always land correctly, most of the time entering straight into the beam.
I´m asking because I´m not very ATC experienced.

1 Like

That’s so you can capture the glide slope instead of chase it.

1 Like

You have to realize in real life they don’t have a map with a cone for guidance try and turn the map off in the hud in low visibility and see how close you come. So yes in IF you can fly by watching the map but to be more realistic you should use the instruments. And since your asking for an ILS approach we vector you to where you can capture it without the use of the map.

2 Likes

I know that, I don´t use the map, most of the time I look outside while in cockpit mode with the HUD.

Ok so what your talking about is a visual approach

2 Likes

Perfect…that’s what I was looking for. Thanks man!😆

1 Like

Ok… I think I see what you’re saying. When I had my PAL I wasn’t instrument rated. But…for fun… I would fly from DVT to SAN with my instructor and his commercial student to shoot approaches at SAN.

The 30° entry doesn’t have to be right at the beginning of the ILS 10 NM out. I can be further. IRL… I depends on the ILS approach plates (charts) for the specific airport.

If you look at the first one, the approach shows at 4k ft, turn from heading 78° to 90° and when you hit UPNIWC turn back to 78°

This second one is think shows coming in way out at 7k ft… you start the approach from an angle.

Now… I’m not trained in reading approaches. Image I could pick it up pretty quick. But… what I’ve noticed coming into PHX as a passenger probably… 300+ times at least… it seems like a straight in to rwy 26@ but… they come in over the mountains to the east on a heading of something like…230° around 15-20NM out and turn to 260° probably 10nm out. It’s usually over Mesa Az.

So…a not a sure if I helped or make it more confusing but…the one thing I learned shooting approaches with my instructor and his,student… it ain’t easy at first. At least not in a dual engine senneca 😉. Probably much easier in a commercial jet with a flight computer😎

1 Like

Here’s a YouTube video on reading approach plates.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.