ILS And GPS

I’ve always wondered what was the biggest difference… I already know ILS gives you signals and vectors and everything to land by itself but is GPS more of a visual landing without vectors? And if so then why is IF giving vectors on GPS runways?

ILS - Calculated officially no obstructions’ such as terrain :)
GPS - Unofficially might contain Terrain - ex. GPS 10 TNCM

2 Likes

So both ILS and GPS give out signals in real life flying? Wow I only thought ILS does that

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Only ILS does.

1 Like

So basically ILS and GPS are similar technically except that ILS is a radio antenna (vectors and signals) and can give the plane to land itself and that GPS will give you signals but only from a sattelite and has to be a manual landing correct?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

A Westjet 737 pilot told me a couple months ago that almost all flying these days is using GPS. I don’t know anything about flying with GPS to ask him any particular questions.

He did say the GPS was accurate to 2 feet I believe. He also showed me a new program on a company tablet that they will be using in the near future to replace the paper IFR plates. In addition to the IFR plates, it also displays all weather information, planes, waypoints, and all sorts of other stuff that I don’t remember and/or went over my head. He also pointed out the closed air spaces for military use, which at that time I did not know about.
It was the most interesting and informative flight I have ever had :)

1 Like

The flying is done by GPS, this means the enroute flying follow the airway this is amazingly accurate and scary sometimes as you fly on top eachother.

Approaches can be done in several ways but ILS is mostly used and gps approaches are available at more and more airports.

ILS will be the way to go for a long long time as just works great!

1 Like