IFR Flight Planning

Question for IFR trainees or pilots: when filing a flight plan, do you include departures, STARs, and approaches? Also, is it nessecary to have follow a STAR on any given flight?

1 Like

A little off topic…

But check out IF-Charts for your charts ;)

https://if-charts.000webhostapp.com/

3 Likes

I already use it, however, I noticed that some of the STARs are outdated, and you should definitly add the ILS approaches!

2 Likes

Whoops, what airports are those on?! :D

It’s not off-topic, and why do you always advertise? It’s not needed, and it gets tedious.

14 Likes

Because it’s related, and why not? 😊

No, neither the SID or the STAR appear on the flight plan. If you think a little, when you file the flight plan you probably won’t know either the departure runway or the arrival runway!

The SID (and transition if applicable) will terminate at the first way point in your flight plan and the STAR (and transition if applicable) will commence from the last point in your flight plan!

For most cases you will follow a STAR for the arrival however it is not unknown for radar vectors to cut the entire arrival out or even a visual approach if the weather is nice.

Enjoy.

2 Likes

So would a departure be issued by clearance delivery?

It isn’t. You are advertising your ‘tool’ which is for IF, when he is referring to the real world, and never mind that there are far better ways to get charts than your tool.

In answer, to @Ksisky, you do not choose an individual SID, but your flight plan generally starts from a waypoint at the end of a SID, and you get specific one to use when requesting clearance. STAR is that same as a SID, you choose a starting point of a STAR, but not the individual one.

An approach is given to you by the controller but you can request different ones.

I think that SIDs and STARs are always required when flying IFR.

Oh @Yuan_Tugo got me :)

Yes. For example, clearance to EGLL would start ‘G-1C3Y, cleared to Heathrow via COWLY2B’

My SID would be COWLY 2B

6 Likes

Exactly. :) And opposed to what most people think, pilots usually don’t manually enter all the waypoints in the flight plan ever time. They have Company routes pre-filed into the FMC/MCDU. However, they look over it to check if it’s correct… :)

1 Like

Just relax a bit on the advertising. I seem to see this in every thread you’re in. If people want your charts they’ll get the incentive to find them ;)

5 Likes

Like what? :(

I do agree with you. Also the fact that he replyes to his topic every single time he updates something on the website

IF you want charts for a worldwide airport, it’s easier just to google XXXX Charts then check through your website and see if they are there. Your is more useful for someone flying in IF.

3 Likes

Take a look at this thread as it lists all the RL pilots who are on the IFC , maybe PM them and see if they can help ?

2 Likes

True, you have a point. However, I am adding them! :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread…

Most flights are usually flightplan SID( standard instrument departure) + enroute+ STAR + approach procedure. Most pilots plan ahead and list the above into their flightplan. Although most airline pilots get radar vectored these days. Next time do use the page @Joshua_Fleming mentioned

2 Likes

Don’t worry cowboy…it happens sometimes when u feel something is of ur gr8 effort and u try to go advertise n make ur stuff popular…I think u shud go easy on him …it happens …natural tendency

1 Like

Since the commercial side of things have been answered it is also important to note on the general aviation side of things you do not have to follow a STAR. as you fill out your flight plan you can deny STARs. Although all atc will be doing is vectoring you as per the chart. It adds work on the atc side of things and in busy airspace it’s frowned upon. It’s still within your right to deny it though :)

1 Like

Thanks, for this. Sounds very interesting Is there any reason you would deny a STAR given to you? Seems like as well as being work for ATC it is also extra work for pilots.