IFJoystickPi - connect your joystick devices to IF using a Raspberry Pi! (Free Beta)

could you send the link to buy the Blackberry Pi box, please? i don’t know which one it is. also is there a tutorial on youtube because i’m more of a visual learner.

1 Like

Okay, here i am stuck…

Error: Unable to access jarfile IFJoystickPI-1.0-Snapshot.jar

Hey @epaga I’ll like to try your product. Can you give me any joysticks on the low price side?

Make sure you’re in the correct directory. If you downloaded it from chrome it should default to downloads. Type ls and it should say something like this. Desktop Documents Downloads MagPi Music Pictures Public python_games Templates Videos As long as Downloads is there it should work. If it doesn’t open a new terminal and try again.

Once you’ve confirmed Downloads is in your current directory, type cd Downloads (Case sensitive) and you will then be in your Dowloads directory.

Once you are in Downloads type ls again and you should see IFJoystickPI-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar in it. Copy the file name by highlighting it and pressing ctrl+shift+c.

Next type java -jar (Paste file name here) For some reason this worked for me.

However…

@epaga I am receiving the following exception when running the file:

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: io/javalin/core/JavalinConfig
at IFJoystickPi.(IFJoystickPi.java:85)
at IFJoystickPi.main(IFJoystickPi.java:167)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: io.javalin.core.JavalinConfig
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:581)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:178)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521)
… 2 more

i’m not sure if this is something on my end or the code… Help would be appreciated!

@Bob_Robert Hope this helped!

1 Like

Thanks so much and SO sorry guys, I only had the main jar file but forgot to include the lib files, d’uh. I’ve now changed the link to a zip that includes the dependencies:

Unzip that and try again. Again, SO sorry for the inconvenience! Didn’t see this soon enough. @Aviation_Talk @Bob_Robert

3 Likes

Check this thread out for info on my new Trello board where I’ll be trying to add cards for my apps: Epaga's In-Flight Apps Planning

I assume to need a desktop pc or laptop to set up the raspberry Pi ?

Nope, if you have a keyboard or mouse you can just hook it up to a TV or monitor via HDMI to configure it.

You might even be able to get a pre-installed build that offers connection via iOS and Android?

3 Likes

Do someone knows how to run this program automatically at startup? It’d be a great thing!!!

1 Like

Anybody has already tried connecting a sidewinder 2 or extreme 3D pro? Should be worth it if these 2 exact models or similar work.

1 Like

This should help: https://timleland.com/how-to-run-a-linux-program-on-startup/

I think that is the joystick @Laura used with it, is that right, Laura? Either of those joysticks should work fine, though - if not, let me know.

Can this usb joystick connection be done with a raspberry pi 3 model b? Or does it need to be a RPi 4?

I have the Pi3 model B and it works perfectly with Raspbian.

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer. I’ve not understood what command do I have to write when it says “YOUR_COMMAND_HERE” on the second part of the tutorial. Thanks!

Hmm… I seem to have another issue…
I’ve installed Joystick and installed jstest-gtk to see if it was working (Which it was) However the driver doesn’t seem to want to work…

Not sure whether my joystick just isn’t supported or something else…
@epaga However the new zip works fine other than this

2 Likes

2 questions.

1. Will this work on the Raspberry Pi Model 3?
  2. Does the X52 HOTAS (NOT PRO) work with this? I was unable to get it to work with my PC, along with many other people.

Yes.

Probably, but haven’t tested that one specifically myself.

Can it be used on Android?

How do you connect to the pi?

hello @epaga you will make a video in practice as you do to install. I saw that you have to touch codes. I think it would be easier to understand. Congratulations on the project.
I’m providing Raspeberry.