IFATC exam preparation

would anyone be able to give me some tips for the exam or areas to revise for the exam❓

1 Like

Which of the exams you are preparing to take? Written or practice?

Go through your resources! There are many videos and different kinds of tutorials to give you critical information. The user guide and the IF YouTube channel are great places to start. On your written exam have pen and paper and think before answering if what I selected would look like in the real scenario. On the practical be sure to think before you send.

1 Like

Depends on the exam. If you’re talking about the written exam, make sure you’ve read up on the IFATC manual. Here is the link to that:

As for the practical, I suggest creating a tracking thread to practice your controlling.

The Infinite Flight YouTube channel also has some great resources:

Let me know if you have any questions!

12 Likes

I don’t know what exam you are referring to, so I will do both.

For the written portion, the guide/manual is the most helpful tool. I read through the tower and ground parts once or twice and locked it into memory. Do some studying beforehand.

For the practical, I’d recommend going to any 2 runway airport and look at the surroundings. Know the airports around the airport and get a feeling of where aircraft could be coming from.

2 key things to remember in your practical

1. Sequence and clear
  2. Watch for go arounds

Whichever exam it is, good luck.

For the practical exam for pattern : Sequence and clear
For Runway changes and inbounds dont forget the GOLDEN RULE:

1. Pattern entry 2. Sequence 3. Clear :) Good luck.

I suggest to read to ATC about tower ground etc, And also you can take the practice ATC written exam to test your skills.
Here’s the link:
https://www.classmarker.com/online-test/start/?quiz=fv35e9f54db5e5d1

1 Like

For both written and practical I found that the YouTube videos were far more helpful than the manual. It’s one thing to read about what to do, and a whole other to see it visually happening. I would review all the videos in the ATC playlist on Infinite Flight’s YT, but pay special attention to sequencing (I find that to be the most difficult part). It’s also important to memorize which scenarios you need a pattern entry in and which scenarios you don’t.

For the practical, I would rather be safe than sorry. If there’s even a semi-close margin on a go-around, send the pilot around rather than risk it. If you think you might just be able to cut someone into the pattern, consider sequencing them behind the other pilot instead (and/or using a 360). It might cause a little bit of extra flying but it would be much, much better than colliding the two.

1 Like

For the written: Take your time. Use all of the available time given to you. Very many people take 6 or 7 minutes to complete the exam and fail. It’s nearly impossible to be able to accurately comprehend what is being asked in such a short amount of time. So take that time, read the questions carefully and review your answers.

Pen and paper also very helpful. Drawing out the various scenarios on paper greatly helps verify what you are visualizing in your head.

1 Like

Other Community members have said excellent points. However, i can’t stress enough about how crucial reading the manual word for word is. If you want, you can draw out different scenarios on paper and try think on how you’d handle the conflict. I did this and passed within 6 days of me beginning my tracking threads in Training Server. Binge watch the ATC test video, this is the scenarios your likely to face, this helped me so much. One more thing is to stay calm! Stressing and over-thinking will just make you mess up, don’t let small mistakes get the better of you. If you correct yourself, or your good outshines the bad you’ll have a great chance of passing. I wish you well and hope to see you in this loving community.

One Rule you gotta remember is to bare in mind is that it’s Pattern Entry>Sequence(if needed)> Clearance. Do this and you’ll pass with flying colours as long as you pay attention to ground conflicts

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.