IFATC DAY 26/07 - Gibraltar/LXGB [CLOSED]

Gibraltar?

The British overseas territory of Gibraltar, a limestone outcrop on the southern tip of the Iberian peninsula, occupies a commanding position at the western gateway to the Mediterranean Sea. Spain continues to claim sovereignty over the territory, which has been ruled by Britain since 1713 under the terms of the Treaty of Utrecht.

Its name is derived from Arabic: Jabal Ṭāriq (Mount Tarik), honouring Ṭāriq ibn Ziyād, who captured the peninsula in 711. Gibraltar is a heavily fortified British air and naval base that guards the Strait of Gibraltar, which is the only entrance to the Mediterranean Sea from the Atlantic Ocean. Since the 18th century, Gibraltar has been a symbol of British naval strength, and it is commonly known in that context as “the Rock.”

Gibraltar Airport, and what is so special about the airport?

The Gibraltar Airport, sometimes called North Front Airport, is considered the most dangerous airport in Europe. Located only 500 meters from the Gibraltar pity center, the runway for this airport cuts right through the city. One of the scarier aspects of this airport is that a busy street,Winston Churchill Avenue, intersects the runway. Because of this, when a plane lands or takes off, the road has to be closed.

Gibraltar Airport was originally an emergency airfield for the British Navy. Today, the airport is used to haul cargo to the area and to bring in tourists.

NOTAMS:

• Aircraft size restriction! (so please, do not try to fly with a 772, runway is WAY too short)
  • Be good in landing
  • You will HAVE to go around the Rock of Gibraltar, to gain the experience!

When will you be active?

2020-06-20T22:00:00Z2020-06-21T18:00:00Z

Well actually, it's not sure if I will be active the fully 8 hours. However, you if you follow this thread you will get notified when I am open.

14 Likes

Ooh Gibraltar!

Never had a large opportunity to fly in. I’ll stop by definitely :^)

Yes yes yes yes!!!

I love Gibraltar, and was lucky enough to have visited last year!

It’s great to see it getting some more recognition in the IFC!

I’ll definetley be stopping by :D thanks for doing this!

1 Like

I’m coming see you then!

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments! I will hope to see you guys🗻🛫🛫🛫

1 Like

One question which I’m curious about. Are you from Gib?

I don’t think we have any Gibraltarian members in the community! :(

I think you can LAND a 772, and takeoff with 10% fuel and land at the nearest large airport to refuel. I am going to test it out tomorrow in TS.

I’d advise you did it on casual, unless you want reports lol

Quick question, will you be allowing 757s in the airport? I wanna fly in with Monarch 🙃 @Louverture.EU

2 Likes

Are you opening for 12 hours? If not what’s the start time of when your opening so I can add it to the guide

*To all the Pilots who are planning to visit the Rock of Gibraltar, I have some information*

To answer some questions from above, you can indeed take off and land at the airport on IF, however, since I am operating on the expert server we would like to experience some realism. Henceforward the NOTAMS; Everything larger than a B757 is not allowed. I strongly encourage you to go to the Casual server or Training server if you want to land or take off with a larger aircraft (I’ve already tried it, you can take off easily with a 772).

And No, I am not a Gibraltarian, however, since there has been some threads made on that there are no “variety” in the controlled airport I search for some special ones. I live like 15 min with the car from Schiphol In’t Airport, Amsterdam… and there are so many other people who are willing to control there… and it’s almost always featured… Just like today!

I will probably be open from 2020-06-21T10:00:00Z2020-06-21T18:00:00Z… But I will take some rests during the time! Cause we cherish quality above quantity!

3 Likes

Oh that’s great! I was just curious as like I said before, I don’t know anyone from Gibraltar on the IFC!

It’s good that you’re opening up other airports that aren’t so ‘busy’ and broadening the variety. Great work! :D

3 Likes

Yeah. It’s just my experiment, not a regular flight.

Including it or are 757s not permitted?

Corrected it, what I mean to say everything above a B757 is not allowed to land or take off! So the B757 is permitted :-)!

1 Like

Yeah, monarch 757 from Birmingham

Gibraltar Airport, LXGB, is now open

As a reminder there is no ATIS or ground.

• Runway 27 in use
  • NOTAMS: All aircrafts above a B757 are not permitted!
  • If you want to fly into Gibraltar, use fixes: XRAY, 09D05, after that use at own discretion!!
1 Like

LZGB 🤔😂

2 Likes

My fingers are way too big for this keyboard hahahaha! Thanks for notifying 🗻🛫

2 Likes

new icao change? pilots will be so confused 🤣

1 Like