IFATC at Home - Washington, D.C. (KDCA, KIAD, KBWI) [CLOSED]

IFATC at Home - Washington, D.C.

Introduction

Hey there, folks! As you all are probably aware, IFATC will be back at home Sunday! I’ll be opening up all three (or, at least attempting to open all three) airports serving my home city, Washington, D.C.

Schedule

KDCA: Controller: Me! 2020-06-21T16:00:00Z2020-06-21T18:00:00Z
KIAD: Controller: @Robert_Mustillo 2020-06-21T16:00:00Z2020-06-21T18:00:00Z
KBWI: Unable
More precise times will be added the day before. I will be rotating through all three airports in the above order, however.

Airport Information
KDCA

KDCA Introduction

KDCA, or, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, is the smallest of the three airports serving the Washington, D.C. region. Hub of American Airlines, this airport is located along the Potomac River in Arlington, VA, right across from the National Mall, this airport is 5 miles from downtown D.C., making it the nearest to the capital. Due to its location, DCA has some of the tightest restrictions for airplanes departing and arriving at the airport to fulfill noise restrictions and avoid restricted and prohibited airspace. These restrictions result in complicated departure and arrival paths, the most famous of which is the River Visual, which is used for aircraft departing on Runways 1 and 33, and for aircraft arriving on Runways 19 and 15. DCA connects a lot of people up and down the east coast, but its small size means most of its flights are domestic (aside from a few going to nearby Canada and the Caribbean). All other international flights are handled by Dulles and Baltimore-Washington.

Terminal Information
Terminal A (Gates 1-9): Air Canada Express, Frontier Airlines, Southwest Airlines
Terminal B (Gates 10-22): Alaska Airlines, Delta Airlines, United Airlines
Terminal B/C (Gates 23-34): (American Airlines, JetBlue)
Terminal C (Gates 35-45): American Airlines

Airport Procedures and Diagrams
KDCA SIDs and STARs
KDCA Airport Diagram

KIAD

KIAD Introduction

Washington-Dulles International Airport is the main international airport serving the Washington, D.C. area. Hub of United Airlines, Dulles is located on the borderline between Loudoun County and Fairfax County, Dulles is 25 miles from Washington, D.C. This airport accounts for the largest amount of international passenger traffic in the Mid-Atlantic region, besides airports in the New York Metropolitan area. It also accounts for 90% of international traffic in the Baltimore-Washington area. Dulles is also home to the annual Dulles Plane Pull, an event that was started 28 years ago by Retired Deputy Chief Joe Hurtuk to raise money for the Special Olympics.

Terminal Information
Concourse A: Air France, Etihad, United Express, Virgin Atlantic, other non-United International flights,
Concourse B: British Airways, Lufthansa, Turkish Airlines, non-United Domestic flights, Canada flights
Concourse C/D: United Airlines
Concourse Z: Air Canada Express, Frontier Airlines

KIAD SIDs and STARs
KIAD Airport Diagram

KBWI

KBWI Introduction

Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport is the main international airport serving the Baltimore area. Hub for Southwest Airlines, this airport is located in Annarundel County, 9 miles from downtown Baltimore, and 30 miles from Washington, D.C., BWI is the busiest airport in the National Capital Region. BWI draws a lot of traffic from Richmond, VA, and Philadelphia, PA. Aside from the five, passenger concourses, BWI also features a large cargo concourse. Despite being an international airport, BWI has a lot of flights focusing on domestic travel.

Terminal Information
Concourse A/B: Southwest Airlines
Concourse C: American Airlines, Southwest Airlines
Concourse D: Air Canada Express, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, Boutique, Contour, Delta Airlines, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue, Southern Airways Express, Spirit Airlines, Sun Country
Concourse E: Air Mobility Command, British Airways, Condor, Southwest international flights (arrival gates only)

KBWI SIDs and STARs
KBWI Airport Diagram

Photo Credits

Washington, D.C.
KDCA
KIAD
KBWI

Other Notes and Information
  • Aircraft departing and arriving at KDCA MUST have SIDs and STARs in their flight plan.
  • Runways will be determined on the day of based on the weather.
  • Have fun, and I hope to see some of you folks!

13 Likes

Hey There! Nice thread! I will add you to the list! And I will definitely stop by when your open!

1 Like

Awesome, thank you! Hope to see you on Sunday :)

2 Likes

Awesome thank you. Finally an IFATC serving my home airports. Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Yay!!! Some IFATC at my home airport of KIAD haven’t seen that in a while! See you there!

1 Like

If ur at KIAD I’ll stop by

1 Like

I’ll be there after 2PM

1 Like

Schedule Update: KDCA and KIAD will both be open from 2020-06-21T16:00:00Z2020-06-21T18:00:00Z

oh yeah will definitely be there 😊

1 Like

Yes - pay Reagan a visit and then come over for some service with me at Dulles!

1 Like

I lowkey wanna see someone do a hop from DCA to IAD or vice versa lol

2 Likes

Definitely IAD to DCA for a Potomac visual

1 Like

I’d do IAD-DCA if I can do it in the Boeing 787-8 test flight they did many years ago.

(also I kinda want to make for certain that Runway 30 will be open for departures at all times no matter winds, as they do that in real life at Dulles)

East coast Madness data is live. See where and what you can fly to. IFATC East Coast Madness - Part 3

Runway 30 will indeed be used for departures.

1 Like

KDCA, KIAD, and Potomac App/Dep are all open! Stop on by folks!

2 Likes

Will y’all still be open in 3 and a half hours?

I might be at BWI at that point, not sure about the others!

1 Like

I’ll open later tonight but hopefully at JFK since it’s closer to where I live. Otherwise either DCA or ATL

Can I do the 787 flight from iad to dca