IFATC at Home - Taiwan

IFATC at Home ~ RCTP [TaipeiGuru]

Sunday has been designed to be an "IFATC at Home" day -- a time where controllers have been given the freedom to open any airport "only in the country they represent." Thus, I present to you my selection: Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport!

Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (TPE/RCTP) is the largest airport in the island country of Taiwan. It serves the northern end of the island, including Taipei, New Taipei City and Taoyuan City. The airport is connected by bus, rail, taxi and many other modes of transportation to downtown Taipei as well as a few nearby townships. Taiwan Taoyuan is also the hub for China Airlines and EVA Air, two major carriers that fly to destinations all over the globe.

Wikipedia Summary of RCTP

Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (IATA: TPE, ICAO: RCTP) is an international airport serving Taipei and northern Taiwan. Located about 40 km (25 mi) west of Taipei in Dayuan District, Taoyuan, the airport is Taiwan’s largest and busiest airport. In 2016, it was ranked the best airport for its size in the Asia-Pacific region by Airports Council International.

The airport opened for commercial operations in 1979 and is an important regional trans-shipment center, passenger hub, and gateway for destinations in Asia. Formerly known as Chiang Kai-shek International Airport, it was renamed on 6 September 2006 to its current name.

In 2018, Taiwan Taoyuan handled a record 46.5 million passengers and 2.3 billion kg of freight, making it the 11th busiest airport worldwide by international passenger traffic, and 8th busiest in terms of international freight traffic in 2018. It is the main international hub for China Airlines and EVA Air. It is also a hub of Uni Air and the LCC Tigerair Taiwan.

Source

My Personal Connection to RCTP

The maternal side of my family tree has many roots stationed in Taiwan. We moved there a few years after WWII ended, and have had family there ever since. I spent much of my childhood in Taiwan before moving to the United States. Though I’m now a U.S. citizen, I still consider Taiwan to be my home, and make an effort to return every chance I get. There’s a reason for that-- the vibrant culture, stunning sights and savory cuisine never fail to disappoint.

RCTP Airport Information

Taiwan Taoyuan is a hub for EVA Air and China Airlines, as well as Tigerair Taiwan. EVA mainly uses Terminal 2, although some flights are operated out of Terminal 1. China Airlines uses both terminals for their flights. For this reason, Star Alliance partners (Air Canada, Singapore Airlines, United Airlines, etc.) operate out of Terminal 2. View a list of all airlines that serve RCTP here.

Airport Elevation: 108 ft.
Runway Information:

Runway Dimensions Heading (True) Elevation Surface
05L/23R 12008 x 197 ft 053° or 233° 73 ft Asphalt
05R/23L 10991 x 197 ft 053° or 233° 106 ft Asphalt
STARs, SIDs and Other Charts

Please see here for details.

Featured STAR: SIGANG1/TONGA1

STAR Details

Fixes: TONGA BOCCA ELBER BRAVO JAMMY MAYOR JUNTA JUROR AUGUR RCTP

Featured SID: PIANO1

SID Details

23L Fixes: RCTP TP240 DECOY OCTAN PIANO
23R Fixes: RCTP TP230 DECOY OCTAN PIANO

Suggested Routes

Short Haul
  • Route: Taipei-Hong Kong {RCTP-VHHH}

• Flight Time: 01:20

• Equipment: B787-10 (EVA Air)

• FPL: RCTP TP060 NOVAS DECOY SUMER CHALI 2360N/11956E MKG KADLO ANPOG ELATO 2218N/11615E MAGOG ENPET FISHA ABBEY MUSEL TAMAR TD 2225N/11414E VHHH

Medium Haul
  • Route: Taipei-Jakarta {RCTP-WIII}

• Flight Time: 04:47

• Equipment: A350-900 (China Airlines)

• FPL: RCTP TP064 NEPAS TINHO TITUS WAGON JICHI TACLE 2258N/12135E GID PICHU POTIB LBG TOKON GAMAN TELMO PR OSANU VJN VJN80 BUTAX UDERO ALEMO OKADA OMEGA OSUKA TRIBO RAFIS ALAMO 500S/10837E GASPA GAPRI WETES ESALA TEGAR LEFTA SIGAS WIII

Long Haul
  • Route: Taipei-Amsterdam {RCTP-EHAM}

• Flight Time: 12:30

• Equipment: B777-200ER (KLM)

• FPL: RCTP TP064 OCTAN PIANO BYWAY 2656N/12243E CUBIT VIOLA OLIVE SULEM OKATO DST 2806N/11934E OSPAM ENLET UGAGO TOL 3018N/12010E UDOLA IGRAT TESIG SAPIN OLRIS DOGVI 3240N/11835E RUPUD DALNU MEXUP DPX UDINO ABTUB DALIM GOLAL RAXEV EPGAM BTO VYK HUR PIDOX ASILA ERVEB POLHO MODUN ZAMUS GOBEZ PRING SERNA PIMIT KEMON LUTOG BAPIR AGANU GUDMI RELIK NEDAG LONKA 5516N/9453E ATREG OSKID UTIMA RISOL KUMOD LAMEG DISOM GEMRI MOLUB KUPON TODES TERDO HMN UNISO NIGOK KUDED TUNAL PITIN BUKET DIKAP KESAL AKADA SUPEG VESUR BASAP DIBLU MOTUD GOGLA REBTU AMRAG AGBON SPB TURAL RANVA RESMO TUXUV GONOS NITSO KEMET KRS MOLOK TODNA RUTEK DEREX KOTAM EKRAL SUP ADVIS LILBI EVBED LUPUR NEXEN MARIP GOBOT EVIVU ABANO 5340N/807E GASTU LUGUM EEL NOVEN ARTIP EH655 EHAM

Fun Fact: Did you know that the air route between Taiwan Taoyuan and Hong Kong Int’l. is ranked #1 in the world in terms of origin-and-destination passenger volume? That very route is also ranked 8th in terms of passengers carried, and is the first international route on the list (numbers 1-7 are all domestic).

The route is also 2nd in terms of annual flights, coming in at 28,447 per year (just behind WMKK-WSSS, which has about 30,000).

Opening Details

I expect to be open from 1400Z to 1530Z. The session may last longer, and I have tentative plans to return later in the day. However, if you’re flying a long haul or just want a certain time, 1400Z-1530Z is your window!

2020-05-10T14:00:00Z2020-05-10T15:30:00Z

Please note that runway usage will depend on winds. A post will be made prior to opening that gives you the METAR and active runways.

Thanks for reading! I know you all have plenty of choices when it comes to staffed airports on Sunday, so I would be honored if you chose mine. Please let me know if there’s any information that I missed, or that you might want to know; I’d be happy to edit it in or add a comment below. Stay safe, wash your hands and stay away from crowds. Hoping to see you at RCTP in a few days’ time!

– TaipeiGuru

Image Sources
36 Likes

Hey all,

T-minus 12 hours to go! Just wanted to give you a heads up on the predicted runway usage here in Taipei. The TAF, as well as a few other sources, say that winds will be headed in a southwesterly direction, meaning that you can expect runways 5L and 5R to be in use.

I’ll publish the featured STAR and SID a couple hours before opening, as well as the most recent METAR. Also keep in mind that many of my Chinese compatriots will be open around the same time as I am, meaning that it’s a perfect opportunity to jump between Chinese megahubs and Taiwanese scenery. You can check out their thread below.

Hoping to see you there!
– TG

6 Likes

Just under an hour to go! The current METAR is
RCTP 051300Z 07009KT 040V100 9999 FEW010 BKN020 BKN035 16/12 Q1021 NOSIG RMK A3016, which means that 5L/5R will be in use. The featured STAR is the BAKER/GRACE/DRAKE RNAV arrival, while the featured SID is the PIANO1 departure. More details can be found in the main post. I hope to see you there!

1 Like

Well made post and some interesting STARs with a long downwind if required. Have a good session!

1 Like

I did tell @George I wouldn’t fly for days to come but I maybe could try a Long Haul from Taoyuan ;)

And I was gonna say something more but forgot what it was… 😑

2 Likes

Taiwan Taoyuan is now open! Patterns are allowed, light aircraft are allowed and it’s a fantastic night to fly. Come down and experience the beauty of Taiwan!

@Captain_JR Now’s your chance. ;)

1 Like

That ”maybe” became a “maybe not” after all, sorry :(

I’ll visit Taipei next time RCTP is on the ATC schedule or later today ✌️

1 Like

Eh, Nvm what I just said. Can’t miss the chance of having Guru from Taipei as my ATC 🤩

1 Like

Please don’t go to any trouble. Would love to have you here, but I have two aircraft in the pattern as well, so it’s not completely boring. :D

1 Like

Looked at the suggested routes and thought, HKG is a nice short flight. I need more landings to stay as G3 and get up to Green Tag Grade 4 again so here I am, in Beautiful Taipei 🌟

1 Like

I really appreciate you coming by, JR. Hope that the service was good, and that you have a wonderful flight to HK!

1 Like

Flawless as usual. Just brilliant. Would’ve loves to stay for patterns, but HKG is calling ;)

Hope you had a great time controlling 👍

1 Like

Taiwan Taoyuan is closed! May open up later, but for now, enjoy your day/night everyone. :)

Wow bravo 👏🏼
Thank you TG 🛬😎🛫

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.