IFATC AT HOME

Southampton Airport

ICAO: EGHI
Class: Charlie
Elevation: 41’
Frequencies Available: Approach, Tower, ATIS
Runway 02/20: Max Length available 5,649’

Evening all, hope you are safe and well

As you know IFATC will be featuring home airports of controllers tomorrow and so I shall be opening Southampton on the South Coast of England. Depending on family stuff (keeping the kids sane and amused) I will try and be active at the following times as a minimum;

Morning: 2020-05-10T09:00:00Z2020-05-10T10:00:00Z
Afternoon:2020-05-10T14:00:00Z2020-05-10T15:00:00Z
Evening:2020-05-10T20:00:00Z2020-05-10T21:00:00Z

Southampton began operating in 1910, known then as Eastleigh Airfield. It was purchased by BAA in 1990 and grew as one of the vital regional airports in the UK. It was extremely easy to reach with close motorway connections and also Southampton Airport Parkway rail station which meant you could walk from the train into departures literally within a couple of minutes.

Destinations across Europe were also served including seasonal ski flights to Geneva in Switzerland.

Sadly, with the collapse of Flybe, Southampton has now lost 85% of it flight operations, but continues to hold a solid place in many flight enthusiasts hearts.

Southampton Aircraft Operations

The Flybe Dash 8 Q400 was typically the largest aircraft operated at Southampton in real life, although A319’s were historically used on seasonal routes by easyJet and Vueling with departures from RWY02 performing a short back taxi to obtain full length.

Non Light aircraft arrivals on RWY02 will require a back taxi to vacate.

There are also a couple of GA gates available towards the North end of the airport

With no ground frequency available pilots are warned to be extra vigilant when pushing back and taxiing

Southampton Suggested Destinations

Sadly Flybe no longer operates but these are some of the destinations served by Flybe either from Southampton, old seasonal routes or from other airports…

Suggested Destinations
Destination ICAO
Aberdeen EGPD
Amsterdam EHAM
Belfast City EGAC
Chambéry LFLB
Cork EICK
Dublin EIDW
Dusseldorf EDDL
Edinburgh EGPH
Exeter EGTE
Faro LPFR
Geneva LSGG
Hanover EDDV
Innsbruck LOWI
Isle of Man EGNM
Jersey EGJJ
Leeds Bradford EGNM
Liverpool EGPP
Manchester EGCC
Paris LFPG

For details on UK destinations being covered by IFATC check out the topic below

8 Likes

Not too far from me! I’ll try come from Geneva at about half 3 (London time) / 2020-05-10T14:30:00Z

1 Like

Hey!

I’m starting my flight at Geneva, I think I’ll be inbound for about 3:50pm, hopefully there can be some traffic! 😄

Excellent, I’m on track to re-open as scheduled 🙂 Have a good flight!

2 Likes

I’ve opened Southampton during an ATC at home weekend myself.

I was really enjoying the view of planes planes struggled in the winds on final for rwy20 from my workplace (home depot), which is located right under the final leg.

I miss Flybe very much. Now the whole area is really quiet.

The easyJet A319s and the Flybe E195s caused some noise but I really loved them all!

I might pop in for some patterns later on! 😉

1 Like

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to make my intended evening slot but thanks to everyone that stopped by today, or requested a transition en route to Gatwick 😂

Hope you all had a fab Sunday flying

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.