IFATC At Home - Long Island (KISP)

IFATC At Home - Long Island, New York

9dd28f701a94d8c7c4dd24cf7a983a5f

Hello everybody! As I'm sure you're all aware, this Sunday is IFATC At Home! Tyler has given each of us controllers the opportunity to once again open an airport of our choosing in our home region to control, and I'm very happy to be able to participate in this. This will be my fist IFATC At Home since joining the IFATC team, and I'm very excited to open an airport close to home for me to pilots to check out! Long Island has been my home for over 13 years now, and KISP has been my local airport during that time! It's a great airport located in Islip, New York and is a favorite for those looking to avoid the busyness of JFK or LaGuardia!

Technically the airport is in Ronkonkoma, New York, but everyone thinks it’s in Islip because of the name

About Long Island

Long Island is a large island located in the southeast of New York state. Not counting the New York City boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, the island consists of 2 counties: Nassau and Suffolk. With a population of over 7.8 million people, Long Island contains nearly 40% of New York State’s entire population! In fact, if Long Island was a state, it wouldn’t be the smallest, and still be bigger than small states like Rhode Island. Long Island is known for many things, but one of my favorite are the wonderful beaches!

About MacArthur Airport (KISP)

Long Island MacArthur Airport was built in 1942, and was originally named Islip Airport. The name was changed to MacArthur Airport, being named after Douglas MacArthur, a General who served in the United States Army and Philippine Army from 1903 to 1964. While the airport is currently only served by 3 carriers, it has been served by numerous airlines over the years. Here are some fun facts about the airport:

-American Eagle, Frontier, and Southwest are currently the only airlines serving the airport. However, more airlines use to fly to KISP, including big names like Delta Express and United, and less well known airlines like Carnival Airlines.

-Spirit Airlines was originally planning to setup a hub at KISP. However, they moved all flights to LaGuardia airport after only a few months.

-Southwest Airlines has been serving the airport the longest, since 1999 and is also the largest carrier at the airport… However, American Eagle can also be counted as being there the longest, as US Airways Express has served the airport even longer!

Read more on MacArthur Airport:

Wikipedia Article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_MacArthur_Airport

Opening times

I will try to be open beginning at 2020-06-21T18:00:00Z for at least 1 hour and try to be on as much as I can throughout the day.

Note that this is subject to change, along with how much I can control due to it being Father’s Day.

Runway Information

MacArthur Airport currently has 3 runways in use:

Runway Dimensions Surface ILS Equipped?
06/24 7,006 X 150 ft. Asphalt YES (Both)
15R/33L 5,186 X 150 ft. Asphalt NO
15L/33R 3,175 X 75 ft. Asphalt NO

Note regarding real world procedures/runway use:

-Runway 06 and 24 is the main runway. Most likely, this is where most departures and arrivals will take place.

-Runway 15R/33L can be used depending on wind conditions. However, due to its short length, larger aircraft should use runway 06/24 for departure. For example, I recommend that this runway is NOT used for departure by any aircraft larger than an A319 or 737-700 or if the aircraft is heavy in weight.

-Runway 15L/33R is a much smaller runway, only intended for small GA or light aircraft. However, this runway is rarely used in real life. If you are flying a smaller aircraft, you can use this runway if you’d like, but the other runways are always an option.

You can find the airport charts below:

KISP chart

FlightAware_ISP_APD_AIRPORT DIAGRAM
For approach, STAR, and departure charts, check out the bottom of this page:
https://skyvector.com/airport/ISP/Long-Island-Mac-Arthur-Airport

Routes

Since KISP is a small airport, below you can find all of the routes currently flown commercially out of the airport. Of course, you are free to fly any GA routes you would like to as well!

American Eagle

Destination: Philadelphia International Airport (KPHL)
Aircraft: Embraer ERJ-145
Flight Time: ~35 minutes

This route is a nice little jump down the East Coast! This flight is flown with an E145 in real life, so the closest equivalent in Infinite Flight would be the CRJ 200. These flights are operated by Piedmont Airlines in real life. All American Eagle flights depart and arrive at gate A1.
7abd60caf5be22db0f3d30b47e24c9f8ac8669a2

Frontier Airlines

Destinations: Atlanta (KATL), Fort Lauderdale (KFLL), Fort Myers (KRSW), Miami (KMIA), Myrtle Beach (KMYR), Orlando (KMCO), Raleigh/Durham (KRDU), Tampa (KTPA), West Palm Beach (KPBI). Las Vegas (KLAS) is planned to start on March 18, 2021.
Aircraft: Airbus A320 and Airbus A321
Flight Time: Between 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours and 40 minutes

Frontier offers routes all along the East Coast, but mostly to Florida. They offer flights to the most amount of destinations out of KISP! While they mostly use the A320, they have flown A321s before during peak seasons, such as during the summer to Myrtle Beach. All Frontier flights leave from gates B19 and B23. Gates A2-A4 have been used as overflow by Frontier in the past.

Southwest Airlines

Destinations: Baltimore (KBWI), Fort Lauderdale (KFLL), Orlando (KMCO), Tampa (KTPA), West Palm Beach (KPBI)
Aircraft: Boeing 737-700 and 737-800
Flight Time: Between 40 minutes to 2 hours and 30 minutes

Southwest Airlines offers flights to Baltimore and Florida from Long Island! All flights use either the 737-700 or 737-800. All Southwest flights leave from gates A2-A8. However, most of the time Southwest will only use gates A5-A8.

NOTAMS

-As mentioned above, larger aircraft should NOT use runway 15R/33L for departures. Even if the wind is better for this runway, you will be allowed to land/takeoff on 06/24 if you choose.

-Size Restriction: No aircraft larger than a B757-200 or A321 will be accepted. This is due to runway length, taxiway size, and gate size. Any aircraft larger attempting to land will be told to divert.

15 Likes

Also calling on @MJP_27 since I know you have your guide :)

1 Like

@RTG113 mad yet that someone took your airport?

On another note, great thread! Looking forward to flying in or out or even staying in the pattern potentially.

1 Like

I knew he’d probably say something when I was making this thread 😂

See you on Sunday!

I’m here! And I’m adding you to the list right this minute!

1 Like

I will definitely be here! I’m in Ronkonkoma NY and it’s a 5 minute drive from where i’m staying to ISP I went spotting there a few times it’s amazing!

1 Like

Awesome thread!! Finally happy to see another guy share the love for ISP!
By the way you did not include FLL on the map. :)

1 Like

The map is from the airport’s website. They didn’t have it, probably because it’s too close to MIA and whoever designed it wasn’t in the mood for 2 dots close to each other or something, ha. 🙃

1 Like

Amazing! I’ll be there!

1 Like

Awesome thread! Can’t wait to see you on Sunday.

1 Like

I’ll be sure to stop by! Never had a chance to visit KISP so this is a great opportunity!

1 Like

I’ll be sure to make an inbound from Baltimore or somewhere! I’d be interested in flying a Southwest route more than any other.

I’ll keep an eye on this thread!

1 Like

Amazing work! 🙌

1 Like

I am stopping by for this!

Can’t wait this is my home airport.

Frontier just announced nonstop Islip-Las Vegas! Going to try this route out on Sunday :)

1 Like

Ooh! I’ll have to try that also!

1 Like

Wow! Furthest route so far and an interesting one. Hope it ends up working out. Hate seeing routes get dropped.

1 Like

I wish Frontier still flew to Puerto Rico .

Me too. Once I arrived in ISP when that flight was getting ready to board and there were actually a lot of people. Such a cool route, shame they cancelled it.

1 Like