IFATC at home - Austria

Hello everyone!

Welcome to our second IFATC at home thread (we had to do a new one as we couldn’t edit the old one anymore). The country we represent is Austria. This country has a lot to offer, ranging from the challenging but extremely scenic western part of Austria with valley, small towns and challenging international airports, namely Innsbruck and Salzburg, to the eastern part, which includes one of Europe’s fastest growing airports, Vienna. For each edtion of IFATC at home we are going to focus on at least one airport out of the six Austrian international airports, mostly - depending on the controller’s availability - alongside the Austrian FIR frequency and the country’s hub Vienna.

Airports

Klagenfurt

Built as a Military Airport in 1914, commercial flying at the airport started in 1925. During Word War Two Commercial Oparations were ceased until permission to continue was granted in 1951. Klagenfurt Airport, located 4km northeast of the City of Klagenfurt, was however never able to reach more than a status as a small regional airport. The highest number of passengers moved in one year was achieved in 2005, with a little more than 522 000 passengers passing through the airports doors. In recent years the airport was never able to exceed the number of 300 000 ppa and even the General Aviation sector hasn’t been growing as of late. Nevertheless Klagenfurt is a mostly cheaper alternative gateway to the alps and does get some interesting charterflights from time to time.

KluAipgros

Routes

This time around only Klagenfurt is featured. Here is the full list of commercial routes from the airport:

Route Airline Aircraft Flight Time
LOWK-LOWW Austrian Q400 0:45
LOWK-EDDK Eurowings Airbus A319, A320 1:20
LOWK-EDDB* EasyJet Airbus A319 1:30
LOWK-EDDT EasyJet Airbus A319 1:30
LOWK-EHRD Transavia Boeing 737-800 1:45
LOWK-EGKK EasyJet Airbus A319 2:15
LOWK-LEPA Lauda Airbus A320 2:05

*Route Starting November 4th, 2020

Frequencies, Controllers

Klagenfurt: Tower Ground, ATIS: @Rocco, @Aviation-21
Klagenfurt Approach (also acting as Departure): @Aviation-21

Opening Times

We do not have any set or planned opening times, however we will announce every open frequency here in this thread, so be sure to keep an eye out!

Hopefully see you on Sunday :)

18 Likes

Looks very fun, I think I’ll stop by! Nice thread and amazing banner!

2 Likes

Beautiful thread, I’ll be there ❤️

3 Likes

Made by the great @Rocco 😎

3 Likes

Well Well Well. It looks like I shall have to pay Austria a visit :)

3 Likes

You have no choice ;)

1 Like

Imma wind through the mountains and zoom past LOWW in an f22

Lol jk

2 Likes

I will come for 100%! I think we have our favorite airline in common ;)

3 Likes

I have family in that area, I’ll try come along!

3 Likes

OMG, this is too good to be true. You godda be kidding me! WOW 🤩!
Klagenfurt is the place where I dream to visit the most. I’m so glad it’s being featured in IF!

4 Likes

Like the thread! Hope you enjoy IFATC at home. :)

3 Likes

LOWK Approach, Tower and ATIS now open

1 Like

A message from the current controller at Munich (EDDM):

3 Likes

**LOWK Tower, ATIS and Approach now closed. Austria Center still open by the great @CptJu **

1 Like

When will you guys open again?

2 Likes

I might open TS in about an hour or two. Not sure about Rocco. Will post here if I (or we) open so keep an eye out 😉😄

2 Likes

LOWK Tower and ATIS Open

2 Likes

Approach opening in a few minutes

1 Like

How much time will you stay open for?

1 Like

I am not sure about Vinzent, but I will remain open for at least one and a half hours.

2 Likes