If you use an aviation handheld radio

There are some apps for listing ATC and I’ve seen so many people who use a handheld radio to listen it at air show.

I don’t own it right now but hopefully I’ll get it.
So if you use it personally what kind of radio do you use?
Is there anything you recommend before buying?

2 Likes

I use an app called LiveATC. It is available on Android (possibly iOS) it is free with the Google Play Pass but is normally 3.99 USD.

5 Likes

Same here. Sometimes the transmissions get static so you can barely hear the pilot/controller’s voice.

2 Likes

It isn’t an app, but it’s a population website: liveatc.net

1 Like

I have an Icom IC-A24 (works wonderfully) as a backup when flying irl just in case I run into any comm issues, but a handheld transceiver isn’t gonna do you much good unless you’re in the air or at the airport, so LiveATC is your best bet if you wanna listen elsewhere

3 Likes

When I am out spotting at an airport I use my Uniden BC75XLT. As MDoor said the range is not great unless i’m near the airport. I use Liveatc.net or the app on my phone any other time.

1 Like

My scanner is a Uniden UBC-125XLT with a Watson 881 antenna. It works well for me as well as many others.

3 Likes

I use a thing called a Piper PA-28, it’s a bit on the expensive side, but only 40nyears old and still has a working radio!

2 Likes

This is what a lot of people use:

4 Likes

I use an app called Airport Radio to listen on my phone. When I fly in real life, we’ve got a back up handheld radio if we cannot use the onboard comms. I forget what the name of it is.

1 Like

I use a YAESU FTA-550L ProX however to use this, you need a Radio license.

3 Likes

I have 2, one is a mobile I have in my car that I can use just while driving around

2nd one is yaseu

8 Likes

I’ve got the YAESU. great quality and good sound when I’m out on the apron waiting on arrivals

3 Likes

Just so you know you won’t find UK airports on Live ATC as it’s illegal here to broadcast radio transmission that aren’t intended for a general audience. 😏

5 Likes

I’ve this one. You need a license to operate this though. Not any ordinary guy off the street can use it

2 Likes

Looks pro and beautiful.
I searched YAESU and it’s a Japanese brand! I’ve never thought that😂

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

uh @Jack_BC, you don’t need a license to operate a transceiver. Im a pilot so I know haha

2 Likes

It’s different in England

It’s not a transceiver. It’s a radio

Plug the dongle into it. Plug your headset in, and it’s a radio.

Hence the 121.5 button

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.