If you could magically change something from happening to aviation as a whole, what would it be?

Just say the stututu turbo gang :P

5 Likes

Well but newer planes allow more people to travel affordably, and the “Technological revolution” opened up new routes and airlines that couldn’t exist without new aircraft.
I agree that it’s sad to see iconic aircraft like the Mad dogs go away, but we’ll probably be thinking the same thing in 40-50 years when the A220, A320neo, and the MAXs ultimately become outdated.

2 Likes

me the “stop retiring 747s” gang

4 Likes

This ^^^ best plane ever made

4 Likes

I would stop 9-11

2 Likes

Imagine in 2030 and we’re still using avionics instead of computerized cockpits.

1 Like

As much as I would want that, planes are waaaaay safer now. And the computers are there to help.

1 Like

I think that’s the only reason why they were removed.

1 Like

YES! I love the 747, so sad to see it go.

2 Likes

It really depends on the airline that determines how nice the interior is. And while it may be more comfortable for passengers, technology takes away that seat-of-the-pants flying you get without loads of computers and modernization.

So many airlines have ceased operations (before COVID) during this technological revolution. The the 50’s - 80’s, we had so many airlines. While we may have multiple new airlines and routes with this tech, there was still many routes and lots of airlines that can’t exist today. This point really goes both ways if you ask me, there’s a good and a bad side of technology, but I just feel like the bad outweighs the good (probably just me).

2 Likes

That’s definitely true for everything. But I feel that the positives are usually so much bigger than the negatives.

2 Likes

Yeah, the near-crash of Qantas 72 shows how TECH cannot be fully trusted and that human response is needed in some situations.

2 Likes

I want to ask all the people saying they would stop retirements. If you want the 757 to stick around do you not want the A321XLR? If you want the 767 to stick around do you not want the 787? 747 for no 777X? You get my point, it’s a two way street. I haven’t seen anyone here saying they don’t want those aircraft, but you can’t have your cake and eat it too. In the same vein do you want higher fare prices and less polar bear friendly planes?

I get the sentimental value. I too may have shed a tear when I saw the MD-80 for the last time, but that doesn’t mean I’m not eagerly waiting to see the A220…

2 Likes

The iconic look of the Md 80 family with the engines on the tail.

1 Like

That’s never going to happen, you roll the dice enough times you’ll get whatever combination you want. By and large technology is safer than people. Look at the math. 80% of crashes are caused by pilot error. So far only a small handful of crashes can be directly linked to the computers, and in almost all of those there was a human element too. Honestly in most situations taking people out of the cockpit were safer. As a prospective airline pilot I don’t like saying that any more than you like hearing it, but honestly as a passenger would you rather your plane is doing some “by the seat of the pants flying” or flying along a predetermined route at an exact altitude with something that makes very few mistakes flying straight and level with all systems operating nominally? What sounds better to you?

2 Likes

Yeah no, I couldn’t care less about the XLR. The 757 is my favorite plane, what did you expect?

3 Likes

Stop the A380 retirement and make both it and the 747 as popular as it used to be in sixties, seventies, and into the eighties

2 Likes

So do you want to have less long distance connections from small airports and higher fare prices? I guess my point is I love the classics too, but there’s good reason to them being faded out…

1 Like

Yeah, better and more fuel efficient jets were released.

Yes. As long as the 757 stays. And having them not retire does not mean new planes can’t be made and put into service, don’t know where you got that from.

2 Likes