If you are tired, sleep

Hey community 👋
Today I want to share my story, as this has happened to me twice. Fall asleep when you are flying/approaching

What happened to me? The first time I was in a CRJ, flying from EGLL to ENGM. I took off, set on autopilot, and cruised towards my destination. My plan was to stay awake, something I didn’t manage, so I woke up the morning after without the crash screen, after watching the replay, I found out that I hadn’t glided down in the sea, since I’d run out of fuel. The plane tried to pitch itself up to keep the cruising altitude, but hadn’t enough speed so it kept on descending, until it finally came to a rest on the ocean. No violations as the airspeed was around 140 knots

The second time, I was flying from ENTC to ENGM, this time I planned a rest period after takeoff, set up an alarm and went to sleep. Whet happened to the alarm I still don’t know, as it didn’t start. I ended up waking up over EKCH, and at that moment, I just ended the flight.

What is the context, what is the morale of the story, you may ask. The simple answer is, If you are tiered, sleep, don’t fly. Especially now when school starts, you’ll need a that extra sleep. Just a tip.

42 Likes

We get the message same thing they put on motorway signs. Its important to rest as the pilot is responsible for the flight 100%

9 Likes

In Britain, on motorways they usually have something like
“Tiredness kills, take a break”

1 Like

Oh i am supposed to rest? Well anywho @Jens_Severin thanks for the reminder, i’ve had something similar happen to me before👍👍

2 Likes

On top of this, if I do an overnighter, I set a waypoint super far away near the end of my flight plan, so I divert my plane away from atc controlled airspace if I fail to wake up to land the plane.

3 Likes

This happened to me so. Many. Times. So I tried I think 4 times to pull an all nighter for UVAL. The first time I did IAD-ATL, I fell asleep on descent. I woke up with the crash screen, but no violations. Upon checking the replay, I had gone through my FPL and then kept flying for another 4 hours and also laid down into the ocean… near the BAHAMAS. Lol.
Another time, I fell asleep on pushback, so I woke up with no fuel and I had only left the gate. I got so mad. I eventually pulled TWO UVAL all nighters and got enough hours to become a third officer! So all is good.

3 Likes

That is why i say, If you are tired, sleep

1 Like

well then we appreciate your tip :)

1 Like

Like, there is Pepsi cans inside of the CRJ- well, there should be… that’d surely keep me awake during short hauls.

5 Likes

Or some coffee

3 Likes

I dont like Pepsi

2 Likes

If I’m tired I do long haul to catch a break

2 Likes

That happened to me today was flying CYYC - EGLL and fell asleep over Greenland, flew over EGLL NAV disconnected and i woke up mid-way across the Atlantic with no fuel or engines still at FL380 for some reason no clue how or why. Anyway it was a nice sleep :)

2 Likes

I tried to do it once. It’s was actually a few weeks ago when approach was there, and I set the autopilot to 12 thousand feet, and accidentally fell back asleep. If there was just a bit more traffic, then I would have been ghosted 😅

1 Like

Omg you fell asleep on pushback, how far did you go lmao

2 Likes

If I’m feeling tired, the most I do is ATC on TS. After an hour or two of that, and a few rogue pilots, I call it a day.

Otherwise, I leave most of the flying to this guy.

Courtesy of Smithsonian Magazine

2 Likes

Oh nonono, I dropped pushback and then fell asleep on engine start lol

3 Likes

Ohhh, I thought you kept just pushing back LOL

2 Likes

I’ve had the same thing happen. I was on a school trip in DC and me and the other boys in our group (there was only 5 guys) set an alarm so we didnt miss our flight back to Denver. Long story short we barely made our flight and while on the plane the alarm we had set went off. Lesson learned: ALARMS DISAPPEAR OR CHANGE THEM SELVES.

1 Like

Well, remember to set it to AM not PM

If I’ve planned a long haul, but feel tired, I don’t fly but sleep instead. This has happened the past week I believe 😂

1 Like