IF Diversion Stories

Hey guys have you had to divert to an airport due to no fuel or an emergency simulation? If so what happened? Mine is one time I was casually flying from EHAM-KATL, actually flying on casual server. I look at the fuel and it was red what means I won’t have enough fuel to get to KATL. So where I was at I thought of the closest place that could handle a 747. KCLT was about 70 nm away from me so I made a steep descent and landed safely.

1 Like

Just a tip for the future, the ETE to Distance indicator isn’t always accurate about fuel consumption. It really depends on what type of winds you are facing.

2 Likes

Also, when you start the descend, you burn less fuel. There are lots of variants, but the best decision in this case was divert

1 Like

This wasn’t a post on fuel conservation, this was a post on stories of diversions. But yes, you are right.

2 Likes

I had done a few diversions, but the most impressive one was when I was trying to do YSSY-EGLL, but there were headwinds of 147 KNOTS!!!

3 Likes

I’ve diverted to KPHL from KJFK due to storms in the New York area which caused a groundstop
Other than that it’s been smooth sailing surprisingly

yes iv’e diverted

1 Like

I was going to land at KTNN but had to divert to KPHL because of a flap malfunction of my A320. This was all intentional in order to simulate a real scenario.

3 Likes

I had been flying KDCA-KPHX and just prior to my descent I decided to check the local weather in Phoenix. I see there are quite a few thunderstorms in the area, check FR24 and see that 90% of inbound traffic was diverting. Come to find out, the IF metar read 1SM vis, wind 44G78. Not a chance I was attempting to land so I held just north of the airport for about 25 minutes and once my fuel ran low, I diverted to KLAS.

1 Like

When I was new I diverted to the neighborhood right in front of the runway a lot, intentionaly of course…

4 Likes

A few weeks ago I had a 170kt headwind heading west from CYYZ-CYVR, Had to divert to CYWG as my plane was shaking to the point where people would probably be dead If they weren’t wearing seatbelts in the cabin.

1 Like

Had to divert from KBOS to KJFK there weather was not going to let me land

I was flying from Phoenix to LA in an E-175 as Compass Airlines (something). I miscalculated fuel and had to declare emergency; thankfully @Pilothodge80 was ATC and helped me divert to KONT where I picked up more fuel and continued to KLAX. It was the first time I had to divert, and not going to lie, I did like using the emergency ATC command :)

3 Likes

I was on approach to KLAX on TS and I had to go around 3 times. Had to divert to Long Beach

I was on my way from Tokio to Frankfurt recently. My A346 was loaded with fuel for 14,5hrs, but still I hadn’t enough and needed to divert to EKRN.

I recall flying NZAA - NZWN but had to change destination to Christchurch because I just couldn’t get down, the winds were playing up and after my second attempt I moved down, and then the next day I flew up in the Dash-8.

Most of my diversions I had to do not because of fuel, but because I had worked out I wasnt going to be anywhere near my tablet around time of arrival. Where possible, I would extend my flight, to match my other activities. Only once, I gave up, dumped fuel and returned to my departure airport; and because of this, I arrived late for my appointment…

I shut the passengers up with a virtual voucher 😉

2 Likes

I diverted once. The power went out and my iPad was about to die, I was not prepared to sacrifice that landing 😂

I once did an overnight flight from EHAM to FACT( my hometown). I put my device on charge and went to bed. I woke up and went about my normal routine getting ready for work. As i left home to catch the bus I realised my device only charged part way and my battery was on 20% but I was still 3hrs from my destination. I searched for the nearest airport KLM flies to and diverted. I managed to land and taxi to the gate at Luanda only having 4% battery power remaining and just after I snapped a screenshot of the plane parked at the gate the device shut down.
I managed to claim the logged flight at the VA but I learnt a valuable lesson…

Lesson to be learnt?
Always have a powerbank close by!

Was flying from OTHH to OJAI. Had to leave home to go someone IRL and knew I wouldn’t be home in time to land. So here’s me going from cruise to a perfect landing in about 10 minutes. 😁image

2 Likes