ICAO or IATA?

I am struggling to find an answer to the difference between ICAO and IATA codes. What is the difference? Also I can’t post in #real-world-aviation so maybe someone can move this? Thanks!

1 Like

For starters, ICAO codes are 4 letters resembling airports, and IATAs are 3 letters.
Example:
ICAO—(London Heathrow is EGLL)
IATA----(London Heathrow is LHR)

3 Likes

I thought that IATA were for airports too? Like LGW and LHR?

1 Like

IATA and ICAO get used for airports AND airlines.

airport: (London Heathrow)
ICAO: EGLL
IATA: LHR

airline: (Brussels Airlines)
ICAO: BEL
IATA: SN

3 Likes

Ohhhhh. I get it now. Cheers!

1 Like

Basicly ICAO for airports is 4 letters and for airlines it is 3, IATA for airports is 3 letters and for airlines it is 2, on IF all airports use ICAO.

1 Like

At normal airports and airline websites you will usually find IATA codes since they are easier, also because they do in many ways tell things better

For example
Tromsø
IATA: TOS
ICAO: ENTC

Oslo
IATA: OSL
ICAO: ENGM

You also have New York with multiple airport, there are both the ICAO and IATA the name of the airport

IATA: JFK
ICAO: KJFK

IATA: LGA
ICAO: KLGA

As you see the IATA is the city, wile ICAO suits the city, but you can’t tell that it is Oslo from ENGM if you ask someone that is not an aviation geek

You can’t post in #real-world-aviation because you are not TL2 yet, and this sent to you numerous times, will help you

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yep I know, that’s why I was asking if someone could possibly move it!

ICAO is for pilots and the IATA is for passengers

Not necessarily… What if you’re an AvGeek flying as a passenger, and you have your arrival/destination airports memorized by ICAO code? :)

Really is av-geeks the only one of all passengers on an airplane memorizing the ICAO codes

ICAO codes are used for “official” purposes such as Air Traffic Control; E.g. flight plans use ICAO codes for airports and airline flight identification. IATA (International Air Transport Association) is a trade association that focusses on making air traffic businesses safe, secure, reliable and efficient

Please refer to ICAO vs IATA for more details.

Cheers,

Also, IATA codes are easier for business travellers as BKK is more like Bangkok than VTBS, but ICAO codes are actually very easy to use if you know how they work. Such as VTBS - V is used for south eastern asia as the beginnings, Thailand is VT, Vietnam is VV, then the second letter is pretty easy, so VT is Thailand because southeastern asia, thailand, then BS, Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, and the old bangkok airport, Don Muang is VTBD. LFPG is Paris Charles de Gaulle, central and southern western Europe us L as the beginning and F is for france, PG is Paris Charles de Gaulle. LFPO is Paris Orly.

Come on! Don’t you see IATA work with all airlines business side of things. Ex. Create system for how the tickets being sold, tickets agency, delays, refund… It set more of economical policy.

As an example if IATA works until you get on plane then iCAO takes over. It creates structure, Standardise air traffic, navigation. Safety on the sky.

You got other authority like FAA in US, CAA in UK. Their role is to certify aircrafts, certify pilots, set standard to operate in their territory, keep them up to date with safety, investigate accidents. Mostly works with governments.

IATA/ICAO, international authority, no 1 country can make decisions on their own.

The IATA (International Air Transport Association) formulates industry policies and standards.

The ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) adopts standards or recommended practices concerning air navigation, its infrastructure, flight inspection, prevention of unlawful interference, and facilitation of border-crossing procedures for international civil aviation.

The IATA codes are three letter codes given to most airports and airlines.

Airport Examples

JFK - New York City (John F. Kennedy)
DXB - Dubai
GRU - São Paulo
LHR - London (Heathrow
CDG - Paris (Charles de Gaulle)

Airline Examples

AA - American
BA - British Airways
AF - Air France
TG - Thai
EK - Emirates

The ICAO codes are four letter codes given to most airports and airlines.

Airport Examples

VHHH - Hong Kong
UUEE - Moscow
FAOR - Johannesburg
KMSP - Minneapolis/Saint Paul
BIKF - Reykjavík

Airline Examples

DLH - Lufthansa
UAL - United
CSN - China Southern
QFA - Qantas
THY - Turkish Airlines

I couldn’t explain to you why they are what they are. Here’s links to more information:

By the way, I moved it for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.