Iberia To Retire A340-600s Early + JetBlue Announces 30 New Routes

Iberia has announced it will retire its A340-600s early.

As a result of COVID-19, Iberia doesn’t expect to recover to 2019 levels of demand until 2023-2024. Because of this, Iberia has decided to accelerate the retirement of its Airbus A340-600s to the end of this year.

Originally, they were supposed to be gradually retired over the next five years, but this is no longer the case. Iberia has 14 A340-600s left in its fleet, with only one A340-600 active.

After Iberia retires its A340-600s, the aircraft type will be even more rare with just Azerbaijan Airlines, Mahan Air, and Plus Ultra operating passenger flights. Lufthansa has stored all of its A340-600s for some time and South African Airways is set to get rid of theirs soon.

Jetblue Announces 30 New Routes.

If it wasn’t obvious already, the aviation industry has been recovering, especially in the domestic U.S. market. About 30 minutes ago, JetBlue announced a massive 30-route expansion with some routes directly targeting other competitors.

From July 23:

• Newark to Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO)
  • Newark to Charleston (CHS) and Jacksonville (JAX)
  • New York JFK to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Detroit (DTW)

From August 6:

• Newark to Austin (AUS), San Diego (SAN), Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), and Sarasota (SRQ)
  • New York JFK to Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)
  • New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Fort Myers (RSW) and Tampa (TPA)
  • Philadelphia to Fort Myers (RSW), Orlando (MCO), San Juan (SJU), Tampa, and Palm Beach (PBI)

From October 1:

• Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Pittsburgh (PIT), Portland (PDX), and Seattle (SEA)
  • Fort Myers to Cleveland (CLE) and Providence (PVD)
  • New York JFK to St. Thomas (STT)
  • Orlando to San Francisco
  • Tampa to Providence and Washington National (DCA)
  • Palm Beach to Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Pittsburgh (PIT)

Each route has a varying frequency.

Sources/Images

JetBlue PR: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200618005531/en/
Iberia: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-iberia/iberia-reschedules-new-airbus-deliveries-to-withdraw-14-a340s-idUSKBN23P1WQ

Iberia A340-600: https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/866115/ec-jcz-iberia-airbus-a340-600/
Jetblue A321: https://www.planespotters.net/photo/1001651/n2016j-jetblue-airways-airbus-a321-271nx

Sad to see the A340-600s go as the A340 overall is becoming one of the rarest passenger aircraft in the skies now.

However, it looks like airlines are beginning to recover over the summer which may prevent some aircraft retirements and losses.

21 Likes

That Jetblue expansion is interesting. Thanks for posting!

1 Like

I like the expansion, but it’s sad to see the a340s go, they are such cool planes.

1 Like

My fellow newsman! Good post

1 Like

Yes! Finally JetBlue will fly from a convenient airport for those in Eastern PA!

Really happy to see JetBlue grow in Newark ;)

1 Like

Huge Win considering they weren’t gonna return to PHL until October

2 Likes

Can’t believe they’re sending A321’s there! Woohoo!

Yup i’m excited to go spotting :))

1 Like

So… right now it looks like PHL-MCO will have 17 daily flights by December 2020.

• 6x daily Frontier
  • 2x daily Southwest
  • 2x daily JetBlue
  • 7x daily American

This is up from 9 daily flights pre-COVID.

2 Likes

Any word on the aircraft for the JFK-DFW route?

1 Like

Excited to see my home airport as part of the expansion, but it’s sad to see that those A340s are leaving the skies

1 Like

Nothing at KLGB 😳

I think JetBlue’s reign at KLGB is slowly coming to an end 😭…

LAX-Newark though 👀

1 Like

Wow! This is awesome! So happy JetBlue is announcing new routes! And I’m sad to see the A340 being retired

Oooooo, I see JetBlue coming to Vegas from Newark

Are any of JetBlues routes from PHL gonna use the 321? Or will they all be E190s and 320s?

Yes finally JB back at Minneapolis!

I have family that live in Boynton Beach Florida and it’s 15 minutes from Palm Beach and I live in Chicago so that ORD-PBI service might be pretty good although I already have American and maybe United already operating there from ORD

Any hope that PIT-FLL could be A220. I’m probably too excited about that small possibility, but I’m excited to be able to go to Ft. Lauderdale with them again, and I’m excited to see them grow there presence here.

Hopefully AA liquidates and JB or DL fills the gap at DCA