I need help climbing to a higher altitude!

Because flaps create drag. Eliminate drag, increase speed.

7 Likes

It seems the problem was online for me. I tried on Solo and it was much much more easier. The winds on online on high altitudes FL250+ are like 15kts - 20kts for me which was making it harder to climb. On Solo, I reached FL390 at a cruise speed of 250kts.

https://www.coursehero.com/flashcards/536421/A380-Limitations-Quiz/

Max altitude for flap extension A380: FL200.

Given that your vertical speed seems reasonable, flap retraction seems a logical step, especially at that altitide. Why you are so hesitant to attempt what seems to be an obvious solution, only you know, but give it a go. I’ll eat Crow if it doesn’t increase your IAS and ability to climb.

2 Likes

@Tim_B The reason why I had my flaps fully extended was because my airspeed was too low. And the reason why my airspeed was too low was because of the high winds at high altitude and climb rate of 1500 V/S. The wind was the biggest factor (in online). I am guessing they made it that way so you cant go FL280+ in online.

Okay. I tried. Keep looking for some super-secret, conspiracy reason. Or try it with 0 flap extension. See what works better.

Your sentence translates into “my car was going too slow, so I pushed harder on the brakes.”

Best of luck.

13 Likes

Hope you have managed to find a solution to your climbing? If not try the following which I use for flying the heavies.

Weight setting heavy
Take off, flaps 5-15, sp about 170-190 ( depending on aircraft etc)
VS 3000 fpm, 200kts till 1000ft AGL. then clean up ( flaps up etc).
Increase thrust to about 80% until you reach 250kts then AP Sp on.
At 10,000ft, VS 2500 ft and speed set to 305kts. Remember landing lights and seat belts off!
Above 25000 ft change VS too VS 2000
Above 28000 ft change VS too VS 1500 ( sp now between M0.79 and M0.82)

When still in heavy setting I don’t go above 32,000 ft. On long flights if I want to go higher I reduce the fuel setting till it shows below the MLW then increase with a VS of 500 until I get my final cruise height.

Of course the higher you are the further out you are to start your descent.

Your to heavy I think. Check weights and balance.

I have never had a problem like this you must be doing something wrong to be causing this.

1 Like

Most likely his weight is set to max, and cus we don’t have fuel burn yet his plane is just as heavy at higher altitude because all that fuel is still there weighing him down

2 Likes

I usually maintain barber pole/345 IAS all the way up to FL250 and then set 320 IAS to 280 where it translates into M.86.

Your airspeed will decrease the higher up you go. Your groundspeed doesn’t change. If your at 120 knots IAS at 26,000 your ground speed will be much higher.

Airspeed should be at least 350kts

I was able to get this bird reliably up to FL390/M.85 using the same load factor and N1 at 88% (Typically the same as Max CLB)

1 Like

Then the problem is OPs flying skills

3 Likes

As soon as you reach 10, 000 feet, you can increase your speed to just less then 350 knots (in the A380-800). The faster a plane is, the better it can climb, so I would recommend going as fast as possible (but don’t go over 250 knots under 10, 000 feet, and be carful not to go over speed). I hope you have found this useful ;)

1 Like

That’s max before overspeed alarm goes off. So it’s not very bright saying at least 350kts.

1 Like

Like I said, I usually slam it to barber pole passing FL100.

I think that’s the main problem. Full flaps at or above FL100 just slows your aircraft down more. There should be no reason for that.

3 Likes

I don’t think it slows the plane down. Flaps help to create lift at lower speeds. Also the higher you go the more lift is required to keep the plane ascending. Problem is with full flaps there is too much lift relative to the speed. The plane will bleed speed until eventually stalling.

What you think is pretty irrelevant. Fact remains, flaps creates drag. Drag slows objects moving through air down.

The end. :)

6 Likes