I’m flying in Colorado any cool airport recommendations?

I have my ppl and I’m flying tomorrow in Colorado from Denver. Anyone know some cool airports down here?

1 Like

Assuming PPL you mean private pilots license? If so, you should head out to the always epic spots, KASE, KEGE, there is also one airstrip where you can see the mountain that is on the cans of a certain beer company, not sure which one, but someone made an IFC post about it a while back.

1 Like

@Ryan_Vince is a good contact for CO places also @DeerCrusher

1 Like

There’s KAPA (Centennial), which is an absolutely gigantic airport that’s mainly GA. However, it’s at the southern bit of Denver, so pretty City-scaled and not as beautiful, but I’m sure you could still see the mountains. You said you’re flying out of Denver so perhaps you’re already there?

KBJC is another mainly-GA airport there in Denver, to the west of Broomfield and north of Westminster. I saw many GA’s flying patterns there when I was up in Westminster a few months ago.

KFLY (Meadow Lake) is an Airport out right by the city of Falcon. It’s also a great big GA airport here in Colorado. A downside though is that it’s out east, so there’s not quite the view you’d get from right along the Front Range.

While KCOS (Colorado Springs) is fairly busy, it’s definitely nowhere near as busy as Denver. It’s out on the eastern side of Colorado Springs. I’m sure you could get some beautiful views from there. However, there is also the city aspect. If you’ve ever flown out of/around KCOS in IF, you know part of the views you can get. There’s nothing like seeing the beautiful mountains in person.

KASE (Aspen) and KEGE (Eagle County) are both great for getting some mountain views. Aspen has a special approach and departure due to the way the airport is situated, which could bring much fun. I don’t know a whole lot about EGE though.

Sincerely,
A Colorado Resident

4 Likes

@MrMrMan summed it up pretty well. I’d only add in KFNL (Northern Colorado/Ft. Collins airport). It’s going to be the first airport in the country testing out the idea of remote control towers. Might be something to go check out. Kinda neat. The Tower was built and in place last time when I was up there.

Below is the link to the program.

https://www.codot.gov/programs/remote-tower

4 Likes

I am from Colorado. I would recomend Grand county airport kremling airport or Durango airport. Don’t know any off the icao codes of the top of my head, but I can find them for you.

1 Like

Kfnl is also a nice airport (my home airport).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.