I just want to know why

Why can we say the Boeing 737 but have to say the “Airbus A three twenty” and not the “Airbus three two zero” or the “three twenty” without having to say Airbus before three twenty.

Asking for a friend…

2 Likes

Not an aircraft naming expert here, but I’m pretty sure the planes are commonly pronounced like that because it simply takes less time to say and it’s less of a mouthful.

2 Likes

You should find the answer here :)

1 Like

I would guess …
Boeing was there before Airbus even started to produce so to i guess it is so to make it easier to differ them. (is this even logic?)

I see I see. Fair enough

1 Like

You might be right there.

That is just because it’s not said like that when they are being referred in generic terms it is said like

A320 or A220 without the airbus just a A

And with Boeing it’s because it doesn’t blend or sound good lol 🤷🏻😂

3 Likes

Well for example in my language it’s Boeing seven hundred thirty seven so there’s that

Yeah in mine too. (French)

1 Like

idk why this happens with plane names. All i know is that english is weird asf.

Please notice how we didn’t say Airbus A3 20 but just A3 20 (no use of manufacturer name)

Marketing made sure it was easy to pronounce for our American counterparts and clientele.

Airbus is quite a mouthful compared to Boeing

1 Like

It just sounds so much more scrumptious… I think everyone can agree on that… or maybe just me idk… :)

Honestly, how it is right now just sounds better. “737” and “A320” vs “B737” and “A320.” 😬

3 Likes

I mean I say Boeing “seven thirty seven” (or forty, or fifty etc)

Except for the “triple seven”

So for me that’s the way I say the names just like Airbus “A three nineteen”

1 Like

Becuase that’s the way the manufacturer named it lol

This should explain it 😁

3 Likes

With Airbus I say:

A3 20,30,40,etc… or 3 20,30,40,etc…

Boeing:

Seven Three,Four,Five, etc… Seven (apart from 777 where I say Triple Seven)

Or:

Seven Thirty, Fourty, Fifty, etc… Seven

2 Likes

Finally a very logical reason! Fair enough

1 Like
  1. Everyone here in the thread is right on about how convention has a lot to do with the way names roll off the tongue. It’s just good marketing.
  2. Doesn’t hurt to note that Boeing started in 1916, and Airbus in 70’. I’m certain that Airbus strayed away from copying Boeing’s naming system verbatim as to establish their own brand.

In summary, we pronounce the aircraft the (sexy) way we do because that’s how manufacturers want us to do so.

2 Likes

That’s the point I tried to make but you put it is a more understandable way.

Welcome in the community btw