I have a question

Ok I’m just asking one question and that is how do you know what altitude to fly at in different length flights?

Thanks for checking this out.

1 Like

Fly from 0-179 degrees, odd altitude levels.

Fly from 180-359 degrees, even altitude levels.

2 Likes

If you want a cruise altitude, I’d recommend searching up the route of the IRL flight you’re flying to see what it cruised at. Otherwise, fpltoif.com will give you a random cruise altitude (following the guidelines @Claudio posted above).

As for the flight lengths question, it varies. Some flights can be an hour and a half - such as my AA MD80 flight from STL-DFW, which was 24,000 - or all the way up to 40,000 feet.

1 Like

I’d assume you are asking about stepclimbs. One of our moderators put together this guide:

Besides the weight of the aircraft, cruise altitudes may vary due to weather. This can be easily assessed at windy.com enabling you to check what altitudes are optimum for cruise.

In addition, @Czechoslovakihas provided a useful chart regarding the right flight levels to choose from regarding the direction of your flight.

Hopefully we have been of help :)

Safe flying

1 Like

In some European FIRs(France, Spain, Portugal, Italy etc), southbound flights use odd thousands while northbound flights use even thousands.

1 Like

I’m just saying in general.

1 Like

Yeah, not denying in any way, just wanted to add that point :)

2 Likes

That makes sense, I didn’t know they operated like that.

2 Likes

Thanks guys in about two hours there will be a new notification from me so look out for that as today’s the last day of my subscription.

I read somewhere that it had to do with the airways being mostly North-South hence the different approach to the semi-circle rule.

1 Like

Yes exactly, it’s really hard to tell whether you fly east or west above France for example.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.