I have a another question

How do IFATC determine the departing runways and landing runways.

4 Likes

Looking at the METAR for most airports. (Wind speed and direction)

Some airports require the use of one side, like Lukla for example

See attached ATC manual selection below. Highly recommend reading if you are an ATC recruit.

https://infiniteflight.com/guide/atc-manual/2.-ground/2.1-runway-selection-and-pushback

5 Likes

I think based on actual weather conditions at the expected airport or any kind of restriction.

1 Like

Wait but how would you determine the wind direction I have trouble with this.

Read the section I linked first. That will help :)

1 Like

or runway 25 in Rome Fiumicino Airport (LIRF) only for departure

1 Like

I did read that but I still have trouble.

Do you know how to read a METAR?

2 Likes

Yes I do know how to read the wind part and other stuff.

Hello!

Main factor for determining those are the current METAR and future TAF reports. We will most likely choose a configuration which includes an apropiate headwind or crosswind component.

Other factors can include efficency of the chosen configuration based on the airport layout and the expected arrival/departure direction and flow.

Additionally, a last point to note is the presence of terrain that impedes the controller to choose a certain configuration, thus recommending adhering to official procedures and AIP Charts

11 Likes

So do you mean if there’s a headwind then pick the runway with the headwind thanks.

@BinaryChess summed it up perfectly, highly suggest reading his information, as well as the content in the links provided.

Something you will learn when you join IFATC is the importance of being independent and being able to problem solve/think on your feet. It’s great that you are answering questions, don’t get me wrong, but there have been multiple occasions in which you’ve asked questions in regards to information that can easily be found in the ATC manual (which you should read in its entirety before taking your written and practical tests). A good rule of thumb is if you are confused or unsure about something is to use the ATC manual first, and then if you are still confused, you can utilize other methods.

And yes, you always want the runway with the headwind (unless there are other circumstances - example: Aspen).

8 Likes

There are some kind of methods used to determine the wind direction such as the windsock which is able to determine the wind direction as well as its speed or the anemometer or the anemoscope.

Winds, terrain, ILS availability, controller preference, departure/arrival flow and the resulting impact on efficiency, among other factors. I’m sure others will add to that list.

1 Like

Also aircraft type.
Like in KSBA, I use 15L and 15R for light aircraft and the big main runway (25) for larger ones.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.