I had to do a go-around because plane was on the runway

Just flew from KORD to KJFK and while on final was told to go around because a plane was on the runway. After going around and contacting approach again was told airport was no longer accepting aircraft…kinda disappointed after flying over an hour.

1 Like

Well you can be happy it’s not after longhaul :) Trust me it happed to me once after longhaul…Try to circle for a bit and after 30mins try again…

2 Likes

If this happens you just have to divert to another airport…nothing else you can do

I just quit the flight

2 Likes

I mean, you can also divert to EWR/LGA.

3 Likes

There are a lot places I could have went…true. That’s not the point. Never mind

You probably used the wrong call button. you probably requested approach to any runway at jfk. not executing missed approach. Simple as that. Wouldn’t be the controllers fault. They’re acting off what you send. They’re not clicking on icons to figure something out🙂👍

1 Like

I was 2-3 miles from landing and heard the controller tell a plane to line up and wait. I knew I was doomed after that

No…ur wrong. I requested runway 31L from the get go. Got cleared to land runway 31L

Yeah but if you went around you would have to say that you missed approach.

1 Like

not supposed to request. You’re supposed to use exciting missed approach as @Connor4477 said. it’s not the controllers fault…

I didn’t miss approach. I was 20 seconds from landing. Almost landed on top of other plane. I pulled up just in time. I will give approach controller props. They did a great job

That’s a go around for approach frequency. that’s how the controller knows. When requesting vectors approach thinks you’re doing pattern work. But exciting missed approach is you going around and requiring more vectors to line up for a re approach 🙂

1 Like

Why you don’t contact the APPR controller and ask him why he no longer accepted you for another approach? I do not get the point here, you had to go around, which is a normal flight procedure, nothing special.

4 Likes

I’m not trying to get anybody in trouble but the simple fact is if the controller would not have told an aircraft to line up and wait 20 seconds before I landed then there would not have been a go around? Do you understand? Could have easily been avoided.
I understand you guys love your controllers, I used to be an ATC when it first came out with ATC. I’m familiar with how it works.

I had to go around 3/4 times flying from WSSS to EGLL. I was pretty furious when it happened.

1 Like

People make mistakes, its part of human nature. You should have been let back into the airport for another approach, but the question is did you report “executing missed approach” when you were sent to the approach controller? That is the correct procedure you should do, otherwise the controller may think you are departing traffic attempting to get in.

3 Likes

I would recommend to send the controller a PM as this is the easiest and best way to get all sorted out and explained.

I was on tower frequency when I announced going around. Then was handed off to approach. Told approach I was wanting ils approach for runway 31L. He told me aircraft was no longer accepting aircraft. So I quit the flight. I didn’t know I needed to tell approach I missed approach. Regardless it could have been avoided. I’m over it now. I realize that we are all human. I made mistakes when I was a controller myself. The place was packed too

1 Like

Yes and you have to tell APPR that you missed approach as he doesn’t know because he’s controlling a lot of other aircraft

1 Like