I can't takeoff in the C172

It’s not about fpm. As mentioned earlier you climb out by speed, which is 65-75kts. This determines your rate of climb and your fpm.

So rotate at 55-60kts, accelerate and keep it on that speed.

3 Likes

No need to use 10° of flaps in a C172. You only use flaps during a soft field take off (or short field depending on the model). A C172 will rotate at 55 knots. When you reach that speed gently pull back and let the plane lift off. Then pitch for 73 knots. This is your Vy speed. This means it will give you your maximum rate of climb. Once you find where 73 knots is reference your attitude indicator and hold that pitch. Still make sure your speed Is good. This will keep you from stalling.

Remember: No Flaps, Rotate at 55, climb out at 73.

2 Likes

I’m flying in the C172 right now around The Netherlands with the full fuel and boy, does it feel underpowered!

1 Like

I could say the same. I could barely depart without losing a lot of speed last time i flew it.

1 Like

When I fly it I Use my real world knowledge as a student pilot. Full throttle, a lot of rudder, rotate is 60kts with no flaps. I will warn you that the Cessna 172 and Spitfires are the hardest aircraft to fly in IF.

2 Likes

I agree. As someone who’s flown it IRL, it’s definitely accurate, yet tricky to fly. Just like real life.

3 Likes

Are you fueling up with good quality fuel? I used to have this issue with my Cessna 152 (yes, a Cessna 152!), I used incredibly cheap fuel and I burned it all on take-off, I have never made that mistake again!

I think he’s talking about IF.

I find it ironic that you can’t take off in your 172 when @Ocean1c is vibing at 63,000ft in that thing. :)

1 Like

Try keep a low VS for a little bit to gain speed then increase VS slowly

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.