I am kinda scared of flying into Active airports with approach. What should I do?

So, Once there was an 2 Active airports (Munich And Copenhagen ones) I decided to fly from Munich to Copenhagen because they were both ATC active. When I was approaching Copenhagen, I didnt quite understand what did he say because Im not Super Duper English Speaker, so Controller threatened me with a Ghost and also said Please Follow Instructions. Then I left the flight. Then, it happened like 2 more times and now Im kinda scared to fly into Active Airports with Approaches. What should I do?

2 Likes

Hey there! Hope all is well.

You’re not alone in situations like this so don’t worry. Working with approach, all ATC for that matter, may be difficult at first. To get used to it and understand what certain ATC commands mean, I would recommend taking a peek at the tutorial below. It’s super helpful! You can also PM me at any time if you ever need any help or have any questions! Enjoy your day/night. 🙂

Your specific question can be found in Section 3.3 of the tutorial.

3 Likes

Don’t be scared! Most of the time with approach you just change you autopilot settings or change your procedure. If you find some command confusing, be sure to check out the post linked by @Z-Tube

1 Like

On Expert it’s important you know your stuff a bit. My advice: read the pilot manual and watch other aircrafts to see what they do and how they respond to ATC instructions.

You can learn more about the approach types and how to communicate around them.

1 Like

Dont worry when I started my Grade 2 in Training server and I saw I saw a active airport with ATC I got so.nervous but ones you fly a lot into them you get use to how to talk to ATC.

My advice would be if you struggle with what ATC says go look at videos of what certain things are said by ATC and what they expect from you even if you take a paper and you write down the ATC in English and next to that in you’re language ex if a ATC says : GJ8F make left traffic
Then write under it in you’re language or next to.it.
Just always keep flying into Active ATC space to get use to.it ,2 years of flying and its fun to chat to ATC and you know as a pilot what they expect.

If you need help you can always talk to ATC with any one they are very helpful.

Happy flyings.

1 Like

I would recommend you get used to ATC on training server first…get comfortable…then dive into the Expert server.

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend this actually. Most, if not all, ATC on TS are not trained and do not know what to do, or how to do it properly. There are more chances of you learning wrong on TS.

2 Likes

Eh, I wouldn’t go that route personally. A lot of TS ATC controllers are also learning, so a lot of what they do are completely different from what we do on ES. I’d recommend you read the manuals linked above before flying into ES. I’ll gladly any radar questions you have.

1 Like

But at least he can figure out how to respond because seemingly he didn’t know what to do to respond. I believe that’s the purpose for TS otherwise what’s it for…

2 Likes

Which is why the manual that I have linked would be his best bet. Using ATC in TS isn’t too helpful. He can’t be corrected if he sends the wrong thing, and therefore he wouldn’t be able to learn.

1 Like

TS ATC is not great on how to learn to respond, I’d argue. From what I’ve seen, more often than not, it’ll do more harm than good. The manuals are the best way to go, as well as just giving it a shot on ES and try it out in person. It’s one thing to have conceptual understandings, but having physical understandings also is important.

1 Like

Agreed. The basic premise of his post was he’s afraid…so hence the suggestion he gets comfortable in his back and forth with ATC while knowledgeable as you suggest.

1 Like

@MrAftonn if you want to get some experience with interacting with radar controllers on ES, I’d recommend doing a VFR flight within radar’s airspace, and just listening in on how others are responding and communicating. Watching what others do is a great way to learn.

1 Like

Just do it. The best way to learn is from mistakes. Plus, this is a sim, so what you learn here can be applied to real life situations.
As others mentioned, you should also take a peak at the pilot manual. That’s a great help.
And one last tip. Try changing your name to student pilot. That way ATC might be a little more lenient on small errors.

2 Likes

All said. It beats the purpose why we have TS in the first place…if it is not utilized as a preparatory and familiarizing ground.

1 Like

As @Z-Tube said read that tutorial that will help a lot! If you have any further questions or struggles send me a pm! I am IFATC and should know what you are wondering about 😊😁

1 Like

Don’t fly to huge hubs at peak hours. Often, there will be approach frequencies open at smaller, emptier airports. This can be a great learning experience b/c if you make a mistake you’re less likely to get reported if the frequency is fairly empty, and if you have other questions you can just PM the controller, who is likely to have more feedback for you as they probably remember what happened better b/c they’re not dealing with hundreds of aircraft. You can also fly into the hubs after peak hours (2200Z onward).

Good luck, have fun!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.