I am afraid of busy ATC frequencies

When I go into a busy ATC airspace I get nervous about interrupting ATC and or fellow pilots and then just sit on the frequency witch I know isn’t good because I am taking up space on the frequency and away from all the other aircraft. So I was wondering does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me the next time I go into a busy IFATC airspace/airport?

3 Likes

When it comes to interrupting pilots/ATC, we send messages faster then the voice talks. If you message us, we’ll respond faster then it takes the voice to acknowledge.

Don’t worry about disrupting our flow… we wouldn’t have one without more aircraft! So as long as you’re following our instructions, listening, and being situationally aware, you’ll be all set to brave any busy airspace.

21 Likes

Unfortunately it does not run as fast as actual ATC, and you will “step on” someone else’s message. But you will not actually interrupt someone’s message, as IF has a good system where it priorities your messages to you. ATC is trained to handle it! Don’t be afraid to jump in to the pit! Lol.

5 Likes

Which frequency are you more nervous? Or all?

3 Likes

I’m mainly nervous about tower, approach and departure

2 Likes

Ok! I see now, Thats normal. Because… What are you more nervous about?

2 Likes

Additionally, in a busy airspace, sending several messages in a short span (especially the same/similar message) could create an unnecessary workload for ATC. For example, flying into a busy approach frequency, your first command should be requesting the approach you want to fly, and then from there, just respond to the vectors given to you by ATC. Additional commands on top of this such as “checkin” or requesting an altitude change are unnecessary if you’ve already requested and been told to expect a certain approach. And if you’re being vectored for a while or away from/around the airport, don’t hit “checkin”. The ATC knows you’re there and is likely fitting you into the plan they’ve made. They haven’t forgotten about you.

8 Likes

Are you referring to the text-to-speech voice that says the instructions out loud?

3 Likes

I meant in the pilot list on the ATC side of things

2 Likes

Double tap the ATC log and it will show only the commands sent to and from you, you don’t need to worry about anyone else.

When a command is sent to a specific aircraft, the command cuts off any other aircraft’s commands so they hear/see it, so don’t worry about bothering anyone.

The only person you can bother is the controller, not the other pilots.

3 Likes

@NathanD… MaxSez: “Nervous”, He Should have said“ The “meek” shall NOT inherit the earth!
Just “Bogarde” the Net , “He” will sort it out! Words to fly by.
MaxSends

4 Likes

I think it’s 100% ok to be scared of a busy frequency. I can see how a lot of people are scared of what happens if you mess up or you interrupt anyone else. In fact I used to be scared of busy frequency’s myself! The way I got over it was getting into the controllers seat and doing it on my own, this allowed me to see what actually happened when I just sat there and was scared to send a message. It does no harm. That’s how I got over it and I hope it can help you as well!

5 Likes

Thank you Max! I will take note and remember that;)

3 Likes

That list of flight strips is organized by activity. If you’re just sitting on the frequency, your strip will be on the bottom, since you haven’t said or replied to anything. More recent communications will appear higher on the list. You’ll be perfectly fine if you sit and listen without talking.

Furthermore, the vast majority of controllers will use the map itself instead of the strips on the right. It’s a lot more efficient to tap on a specific aircraft than to go looking for a callsign that’s mixed in with 30 others. We don’t mind where you are on the list, since in most cases, we’ll be using the map to send commands anyways. :)

7 Likes

I get pretty nervous going into an Approach frequency too. I think its just you hearing 50 messages going into and out of tower within 40 seconds that makes you scared of communicating.

3 Likes

Same. Some good advice on this topic. Thanks for bringing this up Nathan.

3 Likes

I had the same issue but recently during quarantine I only fly to ATC airports and I used to be really scared of expert but now I am having fun trying new things like I am flying MIA-DXB tonight and DXB-LAX tomorrow

2 Likes

You won’t interrupt pilots nor controllers :D.
Only Controllers will be inturupted if you don’t listen to our instructions. If you know what you’re doing, and you’re following instructions, we are more than happy to control such pilots :D.
In my opinion I don’t think it’s scary you should be more careful, since it’s busy, and it will possibly cause a collision if you’re not following instructions carefully.

I mean that only I can give, is to:

• Be more careful when approaching busy airpsaces.

• Don’t request things twice,and start thinking that we are ignoring you and we are not responding, this will clog the frequency, just wait, we can see you, and you’ll be there in no time :D.

And I see that you are actually some what interrupted with the fact that our pilot list will be taller (if that makes sense).
Well, actually we don’t respond to commands using the list, we rarely do that, instead, we just respond to the pilot by clicking on his plane icon (if that makes sense). With busy airpsaces, adding a single pilot won’t really add that much stress on us… It’s absolutely ok, actually I want to thank for thinking about our point of view of things :D.

3 Likes

Ah, don’t be afraid. Remember, air traffic controllers are there to help you, there trained to deal with the insane traffic. Just jump in there deep and and you’ll be fine! Good luck!

2 Likes

Wow Dude, I really respect this. The same thing happens to me sometimes, ATC have a lot to do! They would prefer you to give them a call in rather than flying around with not intentions.
Happy Flying
Cign
P.S amazing job as usual IFATC!

3 Likes