Hypersonic Spaceplane at 25x speed of sound?

Just came across this article, which claims that there is a ‘Spaceplane’ in development which may fly from London to New York within one hour.

Is this the future of travel?

https://www.maxim.com

2 Likes

I hope this isn’t as I’ll fated as the American SST… It’ll be interesting to see if it actually happens, but 25x speed of sound seems a little bit extreme unless they plan to use the space shuttle 🤷

9 Likes

Mach 25 is equal to 8.5 kilometres per second at sea level. That’s about 650,000 times faster than a snail.

Calculated using performance data for a typical unassisted garden snail. Results for rocket assisted snails may vary.

12 Likes

Hope it’s got good brakes.

1 Like

Remember that movie Turbo? Lets begin calculations.

3 Likes

tenor

11 Likes

SoreIgnorantCoypu-size_restricted

Compared to “Turbo’s” speed. (about 400 MPH) The Hypersonic aircraft would go about 556,000 times faster than him.
@David_Beckett

What are your calculations?

5 Likes

I hope you got sunglasses handy. You’ll be seeing white-hot plasma out your window! 😱😂

2 Likes

Just got my new pair today. (Not a joke. My new sunglasses came today.) @Nate_Schneller

Holy cheese that’s fast!! Wow I could go to London and back in a few hours🤭

If that thing passed over your house. Your cheese would have been evaporated. Or at the very least, scorched.

And try an hour, combined, both ways.

My calculations show that if that were true the hypersonic aircraft would be travelling at 222400000 mph / 99421696 metres per second / Mach 292417 / 33% of the speed of light.

Then I must have made a miscalculation. Do you have the correct ones?

The hypersonic aircraft travels about 47 times faster than Turbo the snail.

its fast, it brings me to New York in under an hour

i don’t need to know engines and speed, I dint need to know anything

WHERE DO I BOOK TICKETS?

It would bring you transatlantic in around 22 minutes according to my calculations

I thought this was a topic in the lounge😂

3 Likes

On nonexsistantplaneairlines.notreal

4 Likes

Calculations vary. When did you become a regular? And what about this “Lounge”

2 Likes

what a fantastic website :O

1 Like

I just won’t believe it. Is this fake news? 🤨