Tropical Storm Ian seems to be a devolving Hurricane. It’s currently over the Caribbean. It’s experiencing explosive growth currently. It’s expected to be a hurricane by tomorrow and hit Cuba, and Florida by Tuesday as a powerful hurricane. This thread is tracking the hurricane because it’s fun to fly into them and try and land an XCUB in 120kt winds. (Written Sunday Sept 25th daily updates are in the updates area).
Some places you can find the wind are on Windy: Wind map & weather forecast and https://www.aviationweather.gov/
1.Sunday Sept 25th. Ian is still rated as a tropic storm and is in the seas to the east of Central America. It’s expected to strengthen to a hurricane and make landfall on the west edge of Cuba by 8AM EDT Tuesday Morning. https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/tropical-storm-ian-to-rapidly-intensify-before-pummeling-florida/1252603
2. Monday Sept 26th. Ian is now a Category 1 hurricane and is over Georgetown and the other islands just south of Cuba. Winds are currently 75mph and it is moving northwest at 14mph. Hurricane Ian: New track shows where storm will go after Florida
3. Tuesday Sept 27th. Hurricane Ian is now a Category 3 hurricane and has just made landfall onto Cuba. You will find the strongest winds in the far west tip of Cuba. Max winds are 125mph. It is expected to hit the Sarasota area of Florida by Wednesday. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/hurricane-ian-live-updates-rcna49545
4. Wednesday sept 28th. Hurricane Ian is currently just off the coast of Florida with winds of up to 155mph. It is rated as a category 4 storm now and is expected to make landfall in Florida 2PM ET. It is expected to hit Fort Meyers dead on. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/hurricane-ian-live-updates-rcna49729
5. Thursday Sept 29th. Hurricane Ian has drastically weakened overnight. It now only has 75mph winds and is continuing to weaken even more. It is currently over North Florida and in the coming days it’s expected to weaken over Georgia, and South Carolina with rains being the main danger not winds. Hurricane Ian continues to weaken as it crosses Florida Peninsula after slamming into Gulf Coast as a Category 4
6. Friday Sept 30th. Hurricane Ian has strengthened again and is now harboring 85mph winds. It is currently right off the coast of Georgia and expected to make landfall in the myrtle beach area of South Carolina by 8PM EDT. It is expected to go slightly northwest after that and since it will be all over land it will quickly weaken. https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/hurricane-ian-bearing-down-on-south-carolina/1255364
Have fun flying into this one!