Hunting an Icon and Tons of Private Jets | Zurich, January 21, 2020

To see all pics from Tuesday, you might also want to check out my other topics:

Hi People,

if you already wondered how crazy I am, this topic (or one of the other two coming up shortly) might give you an answer.
As some of you might know, the World Economic Forum takes place in Davos, Switzerland this week. This results in a flood of private jets and special traffic at all airports in and around Switzerland while the busiest hub for the visitors of the event is probably Zurich Airport. Since a very special guest was announced for this year’s event, I teamed up with aviation_muc97, a fellow Munich spotter, to make the 350km trip down to Switzerland for one day. 24h and 700km after we departed for Zurich we were back at home with a crazy load of pictures and amazing perspectives (@Cameron_Stone, we might want to talk about a new competition now 😉) . As you know, the forum has a 10 picture limit so I got myself mod approval to spam you with three different topics for this day to somewhat get you an idea how amazing that day was.
I’ll start with the main focus of Tuesdays trip, the VIP and Business Jets, continue with the “normal” traffic around the event and end with the most amazing part: Our 2 hour ramp tour across the airport which offered the most amazing views of aircraft I’ve got so far.
So let’s dive right into the pics! Due to the most important arrival of the day being announced for 8-10am, we found ourselves at the runway 30 minutes prior to sunrise at 7.30am.

The time of day made taking pictures quite challenging since we had to work without any direct sunlight for the first arrival we wanted to catch. Thanks to the United States flying their president around the world with two 747s, we on the other hand got the chance to take some test shots with the first aircraft, 82-8000, callsign SAM45, arriving from Andrews Air Force Base.

Shortly after, the sun rose above the mountains and we got a few sun rays for the “real deal”. At 8.22 am, 92-9000, the famous Air Force One touched down on runway 16.

Not as spectacular but still quite good looking were the following business jets arriving in the course of the morning such as this Gestair Cessna Citation…

…HL8290, a nicely painted Boeing 737 BBJ owned by Hyundai…

…one of @AdamCallow’s Dassault Falcons registered on the Isle of Man…

…the first of what felt like hundreds of Gulfstreams, this one owned by TVPX Aircraft Solutions…

…another one flying right over our heads when changing our position due to the movement of the sun…

…and shortly before finally touching down on runway 14.

Somewhat bigger than your usual private jet was this arrival from Paris Le Bourget, wearing a very fitting registration: N767A

Not quite as big, but considering that the plane was registered in Austria anyway, the flight probably wasn’t the longest anyway.

Did I mention there were a lot of Gulfstreams? Well, to close the topic here’s another one operated by ElitAvia.

You aren’t a big fan of General Aviation? No worries, just keep your eyes open for the upcoming two topics featuring commercial aircraft and close up views of amazing planes ;)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again! You’ll end up in a burnout very soon I fear…

39 Likes
There's also normal traffic at Zurich?! | Zurich, January 21, 2020
Air Force One Ramp Tour | Zurich, January 21, 2020
The Highlights of Saturday at Munich Security Conference | Munich, February 15, 2020
A little bonus: Etihad 787-9 "Choose China" | Munich, February 28, 2020
End of the Security Conference Spotting Weekend | Munich, February 16, 2020
A Final Spotting Trip | Munich, March 19, 2020
Spotting A Bunch of New Airlines | Frankfurt, June 12, 2020
Sunset Spotting for a First Visit | Munich, May 27, 2020
Back at the Airport | Munich, May 03/06, 2020
A Noisy Prop from the East | Leipzig, May 16th, 2020
A little more spotting | Munich (not the airport though), May 9, 2020
Farewell, Pretty Bird | Munich, May 19, 2020
Early Morning Cargo Movements | Munich, June 24th, 2020
Two Weeks of Summer Spotting | Munich, August 9 - 20, 2020
Watching White Whales | Ingolstadt/Neuburg, July 23, 2020
Heavy Contrasts | Munich, January 31, 2020
Being Grilled While Spotting a Special Freighter | Munich, August 8, 2020
More Special Than Regular Movements | Munich, July 3, 2020
A New Spotting Experience With Several Specials | Ingolstadt & Neuburg, July 06 & 07, 2020
A Few More Days of Specials After My Holidays | Munich, September 16-18, 2020
Two Days of Munich Specials and a Little Throwback | Munich, August 28/29, 2020
Summer Spotting Ending With Amazing Evening Light | Munich, July 29, 2020
Returning to the South and the Visit of an Old Lady | Munich, July 17, 2020
A New Perspective | Munich, March 5, 2020
A Spotting Week in Times of COVID-19 | Munich, June 1 & 3, 2020
A Bumpy Start into a Great Weekend | Munich, February 13/14, 2020

Another One?! Great shots though!

2 Likes

I don’t need to. Already experienced it first hand.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning! And that AF1 😍

Moritz, did you go to some photography school where you learnt how to take such amazing photos or are you self-taught?

1 Like

Finally it’s here! Wish I could’ve been in Zurich that day 😩😍

Can you sign me up for your TL;DR newsletter as well? Just because so I get tagged and don’t miss these topics! 😆

3 Likes

I saw N767A at the G20 Foreign Ministers Conference in Nagoya back in November, I spent almost a month trying to find the registration because my picture was too blurry.

1 Like

Fantastic Zurich and some great planes + amazing perspectives! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you :)

Oh, that? Well, that wasn’t crazyness, just pure skill 😜😉

I actually had a photography course in school for two years but the skills for planespotting more or less developed over time. Experience is key :)

Done 😉

Ouch, that sounds painful haha
At the same time I was a bit sceptical about the light because some clouds were passing the airport when 767A arrived

4 Likes

If only…

Then again, I’m not really a fan of the Falcons

1 Like

Amazing photos! Private Jet week around Switzerland this week! 😍

1 Like

What about the Manx Gulfstream in the ramp tour topic though? 😁

Didn’t even notice the other topics,

The gulfstream is defiantly better looking, but if there was a global option then I’d have to give it to that. I think there are a few manx globals knocking about.

1 Like

My favorite is the first photo!
Nice shots

1 Like

Give me until near the end of the year to travel and spot some more, and I’m all in on that 😋

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.